PIA Algae

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have thoughts on getting rid of this stuff? You can pic it off with your fingers, but it is getting into places I can't get to. I have tried multiple clean up crews that so far I have not seen anything eat it. Nerites was suggested, but I haven't seen any difference in the tank.

2 T5 bulbs blue + run for about 12 hours a day
reefbreeders phyton 2 don't go higher then 40% (want to go higher, but afraid algae will explode if I do) blue and 10% red, green and white.

125 gallon tank
Phos .1
ALK 8.9
CAL 425
MAG 1400
Nitrate 0 according to Sailfert

IMG_1120.JPG

OP
OP
loui

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to follow up with this. There may have been a number of factors that got rid of this junk, but in my opinion vibrant is what got rid of it all together. I do about 15 gallon water change every other week and I would siphon as much out as I could. I ran the blue spectrum on my lights only to 40% and the white 10% (I have started to increase my lights now that the algae is gone.. I also got a number of cleanup crews ranging from nerite snails, trochus snails astrea snails, and red legged hermits, I also employed a lawn mower blenny. I never actually seen any of these critters consuming the algae directly, but I would imagine some of it was getting eaten. My make shift refugium has really started to take off it has chaeto in it and a few other types of algae (so my refugium was not effected by the vibrant for me it has made it better).

I dosed vibrant at the recommended dose for 6 weeks and u can see by the picture that the algae is gone. I have continued to dose it in an attempt to get rid of the bubble algae. I also dosed refine nitrate + phosphate balance, but I only dose the recommended amount twice a week. I think some peoples problem with vibrant was that it made the tank to clean, so I wanted to try to make sure that this didn't happen with the refine this is also a product sold by the vibrant people. I highly recommend that you keep and eye on phosphates during treatment, I like to keep my phosphates at around .1 so I never was in danger of it getting to 0.

For the first few weeks vibrant didn't really seem to make a difference it almost seemed over night the algae finally disappeared, so it takes some patience.

I only have a few SPS corals in this tank and they all look fantastic I also have been using it on my 75 gallon tank and the corals look great. I will continue to use vibrant after my bubble algae hopefully disappeared at that time I will go the the every other week dosage regimen. I am very happy with the results I contemplated starting the tank over again this algae was everywhere.

IMG_1147.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back