Picasso Clown Fry Tank - Thoughts on using MarinePure Gems?

Paul Bradford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using MarinePure Gems in my Picasso Clownfish fry tank. Has anyone tried this before? Good or bad idea?

- I'm trying to reduce my water change schedule from twice daily to once daily.
- Fry just hatched last night.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are they ceramic porous balls right? Yes I use them in my larval rearing tank. It’s not pretty, but it works great at zeroing out ammonia and nitrates. You can see it in my thread, “breeding the striped blenny. “

OP
OP
Paul Bradford

Paul Bradford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are they ceramic porous balls right? Yes I use them in my larval rearing tank. It’s not pretty, but it works great at zeroing out ammonia and nitrates. You can see it in my thread, “breeding the striped blenny. “

Yes, the little ceramic porous balls. I was thinking of putting them directly into the Fry tank.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
II tried that too. I can’t tell u that it made any difference. I think they work better when there’s a little dloe at least. I’m raising some blennies in a ten gallon using the traditional green water method. I’m loosing a lot them, so I’m going back to a sump system with macro algae and bionalls and the ceramic balls. Here it is. I got the idea from a book I’ve read on breeding.
e8974219cb20a9a3b941fa84d09e07a4.jpg
4690bb3801623e57c9eb8a3d5197664a.jpg
eaa01b42ec7e8502546b771d26a625a5.jpg

Keeps everything clean and no ammonia and very little nitrates, I got between 5-10. I did use Sability from seachem when staying out. You can easily beak it down and store it. I’m going into my second week here and I’ve lost a lot. Defiantly going back to it. You will need more Rotifers.

OP
OP
Paul Bradford

Paul Bradford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work and all the larval were dead. So upsetting!!

It was my first attempt and I think I added too many rotifers and didn’t have enough oxygen in the water to support the rotifers and the larval.

Any thoughts?

I just read this thread, and I’m going to try it this way next time.
(Clownfish Fry 0-72 hrs....air flow question)

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work and all the larval were dead. So upsetting!!

It was my first attempt and I think I added too many rotifers and didn’t have enough oxygen in the water to support the rotifers and the larval.

Any thoughts?

I just read this thread, and I’m going to try it this way next time.
(Clownfish Fry 0-72 hrs....air flow question)

Did you test the water

What was the temperature
Was the tank blacked out
How are you adding oxygen to the tank
Whats the size of the tank

OP
OP
Paul Bradford

Paul Bradford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran the following tests:
- PH ~8.20
- Salinity 1.026
- Ammonia less than 0.15
- Temp 81

Tank was blacked out for the first couple hours for hatching 10pm - 2am, then removed the pot, added rotifers and green water, and turned on their light. Had one airline putting out approximately one bubble per second. During hatching there was four gallons in a 10 gallon tank. Removed 1.5 gallons at 2am when I removed the pot, so I had 2.5 gallons in a 10 gallon tank (ammonia badge, old school suction cup thermometer, Neotherm 25 watt heater set at 80).

OP
OP
Paul Bradford

Paul Bradford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I had used some water from my main tank (not the parent tank) which currently has 8.6 Alk, 440 Ca, 1440 Mg, 79.5 temp, 1.025 salinity.

OP
OP
Paul Bradford

Paul Bradford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test the water

What was the temperature
Was the tank blacked out
How are you adding oxygen to the tank
Whats the size of the tank

Ran the following tests:
- PH ~8.20
- Salinity 1.026
- Ammonia less than 0.15
- Temp 81

Tank was blacked out for the first couple hours for hatching 10pm - 2am, then removed the pot, added rotifers and green water, and turned on their light. Had one airline putting out approximately one bubble per second. During hatching there was four gallons in a 10 gallon tank. Removed 1.5 gallons at 2am when I removed the pot, so I had 2.5 gallons in a 10 gallon tank (ammonia badge, old school suction cup thermometer, Neotherm 25 watt heater set at 80).

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the gems are a decent product so far for me. I used the cubes in a 93 build of mine and have some spare media in a frag tank. The only drawback with the cube sis how delicate they are and the dust created by them.

I purchased the gems for a nano tank I'm putting together for my office. They are significantly sturdier and smaller. I hear the spheres are similar to the gems in their durability compared to the plates/cubes.

gems.jpg

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank needs to be blacked out for a couple days
Otherwise they keep swimming towards the light and end up dying of exhaustion when feeding you can remove the top so they can see the food

OP
OP
Paul Bradford

Paul Bradford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank needs to be blacked out for a couple days
Otherwise they keep swimming towards the light and end up dying of exhaustion when feeding you can remove the top so they can see the food

I read that they need the light to see the food and that it should be left on 24/7 for the first 4 days. Is that not correct?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back