OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you're supposed to expose the eggs to any air. My suggestion would be to have a container you can put into the tank, then but the pot in the container, then put the container into the fry tank. This way the transition for the eggs is as smooth as possible with no air exposure.

Thanks, you're right the eggs shouldn't be exposed to air. Since they are in the pot all I have to do is plug the hole at the bottom with my finger and scoop up enough water in the pot to cover the eggs.

I'm really looking forward to watching your progress on the next hatch.

Thanks, I hope there is progress, lol. Since this is my first hatch I'm really worried about messing something up. Tonight is hatch night so I'll be moving everything over shortly. I was worried that they would decide to hatch early and I'd miss it but they are all still there. Quite a few too, at least as many as the last clutch.

jasonp87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they are in the pot all I have to do is plug the hole at the bottom with my finger and scoop up enough water in the pot to cover the eggs.

Lol, you're right, didn't even think about that. Much easier than adding another container to the mix.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the fry tank is set up and the pot has been transferred. Unfortunately all the air stones I have produce air bubbles that are too big and the eggs are really getting knocked around when hit directly. I put the air stone so that the bubbles are flowing right next to the eggs causing them to sway a bit, I hope it's enough. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far so good. My daughter wanted to see the fry tank all set up with the eggs in there shone a small flashlight to show her and there is one lonely little guy swimming around in there. There maybe more but I didn't want to disturb them so I let them be. Hopefully I come to find them all hatched out in the morning. :bigsmile:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, how exciting! your daughter is probably loving this! little girls and baby things

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately most of the eggs weren't getting aerated enough and didn't hatch. The good news is that I did get a few to hatch. I have between 30-40 fry maybe more. They are constantly on the move so it's hard to tell. I also got held at work and just made it home a little while ago so I wasn't able to feed them until just now, I hope I fed them in time. Things could have gone smoother. Hopefully the next clutch falls on my days off and things should go a little better. In the meantime at least I have some fry to try and raise. They are now fed, the water is tinted, and the light is on. We'll see what happens from here.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good progress so far. All of the remaining fry are all very active and eating their fill, nothing but big silver bellies. So far my temps are holding steady and my ammonia alert badge is still in the yellow. I'll do some maintenance on the tank tomorrow morning to make sure it stays that way. I know it's still early but so far things a looking good.

Brem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont expose to air! drop it in a small container when transfer the eggs:)

Brem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont expose to air! drop it in a small container when transfer the eggs:)

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the camera out to try and get some pics. They're not the best but it's tough to get a good shot since they are so small and move around so much.

Here is the clutch that just hatched, there were a fair amount of eggs.

Here is a group shot. There are still between 30-40 fry in the tank.

And here is a close up of one of them. A bit out of focus but it was the best one I got, lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning of day 3 and there about five casualties. I realize even experienced breeders lose some fry but it's still a little disheartening since I don't know if it's something I did or not. On the up side all the others are swimming around happily eating their fill.

stevers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice how many are left? Found your thread haha now I'm following your progress as well!

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just counted 25 but I'm sure I missed some. Yes I'm skipping the bbs and going strait to oto a. From what I've read it has worked well for others. The way I see it not having to worry about hatching bbs is one step toward making this whole process a little bit easier. My work schedule can get a little crazy sometimes so any little bit helps. They aren't going crazy for it yet but a few went after it. How has it worked out for you?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 and I'm down to about 20. I no longer have to add rotifers since they are reproducing faster than they are being eaten, I believe that is due to the dwindling population of fry. I am continuing to add the oto a but there isn't too much interest just yet. I'm experiencing more losses than I would have though so I'm stepping up my water changes today in hopes that that will curb the death toll. The first few days I did a few small water changes, basically just replacing what ever water was lost due to syphoning out the dead fry about 32-48oz. Today I'm basically doing water changes all day. I'm removing about 16oz at a time and slow dripping it back in. When I notice the cup is empty I'll repeat the process. I've done about 48oz so far. I've also noticed that the fry are less active when the water is clearer. A couple times after I've come home to find the water has cleared up the fry are at the bottom and along the sides. When I tint the water they swim around more. Not sure if letting the water clear up too much might be responsible for some of the deaths. My ammonia alert badge is still reading safe and I also added a few drops of prime on the evening of day 2. I'm not keeping notes, though I should, other than what I post on here so I'm keeping track of everything I've done to help out with the next clutch.

The last time my picassos took 12 days before laying the next clutch with means they should have laid yesterday. The female is absolutely huge so I'd be surprised if she didn't lay today. They are spending a lot of time in the pot so we'll see. They have always laid in the same pot but this time I've switched it out when I pulled the pot to hatch, I wonder if that is the reason for the delay?

In other news my snow onyx pair have been showing some serious nesting behavior. I even saw the male taking a few practice passes. I've read that if you have multiple pairs in one system and one pair is breeding that the others will pick up on it and start breeding too. I guess we'll see if there is any truth to that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back