Pick 2 dosing chemicals for me.

Adam H Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Polyplab One for about 6 months and generally satisfied if not impressed. My calcium is about 420 and alkalinity about 10.5 (Ph 8.3, Magnesium 1360). The I‘m considering using dosing products that offer more control. It’s a mixed reef system with a growing interest in Acro. As the Acros grow I’ll need to increase dosage which will bring my alkalinity higher than I’d like which is the reason I’m considering changing. I’d like to keep it simple, if possible 2 bottles of products.

Currently dosing .75 cap of One daily, a 10% weekly water change with Red Sea and 1 drop of Lugol’s. It’s a very established system with a 24 year old Euphyllia, 23 year old Maroon, 18 year old Flame, and numerous corals about a year old. The Acros I’ve got are doing very well.

Whats the next step in dosing, thanks in advance,
Adam

A35900A2-20D6-4D14-8C0D-64FD8C4F13D3.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Adam H Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none and none...just do weekly 10% water changes
I didn’t dose for 23.5 years and was fine with the Euphyllia. The Acros need more calcium and alkalinity than the Red Sea provides. My #s before dosing were calcium of 360 and alkalinity of 7 while very good won’t support the direction I started 9 months ago.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally taken the bulk approach using the equivalent of BRS type additives following Randy’s recipes. I’m in Canada so dont buy from BRS but use a local equivalent. There are several calculators that give pretty precise control over your parameters using these products. It’s also a lot cheaper than buying branded bottled liquid stuff.

OP
OP
A

Adam H Sherman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally taken the bulk approach using the equivalent of BRS type additives following Randy’s recipes. I’m in Canada so dont buy from BRS but use a local equivalent. There are several calculators that give pretty precise control over your parameters using these products. It’s also a lot cheaper than buying branded bottled liquid stuff.
I’m not familiar with this but it sounds interesting, thanks for the lead.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t dose for 23.5 years and was fine with the Euphyllia. The Acros need more calcium and alkalinity than the Red Sea provides. My #s before dosing were calcium of 360 and alkalinity of 7 while very good won’t support the direction I started 9 months ago.
Why not just 2 part with mag occasionally like the rest of the free world.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do this.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestions are to use one of the following:

1. A good commercial two or three part such as ESV-Bionic or Tropic Marin Balling
2. A DIY comprised of sodium bicarbonate/carbonate, calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate/magnesium chloride

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestions are to use one of the following:

1. A good commercial two or three part such as ESV-Bionic or Tropic Marin Balling
2. A DIY comprised of sodium bicarbonate/carbonate, calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate/magnesium chloride

for a LPS tank?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two little fishies c-balance, which is great because it’s a two part that has magnesium mixed in, so you don’t have to dose separately.

I also dose acropower, though I’m not sure it does anything haha

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back