Pick a Wrasse for Me!

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder FOWLR (a couple of softies, but I don't mind if they get nibbled, transitioning over to full FOWLR) and I am looking to add a wrasse to it. I'm having a hard time choosing and have been reading so many conflicting posts - e.g. six line is a menace, six line is a model citizen. Right now the tank only has 2 small clowns, a juvenile royal gramma, and a little shrimp goby who never leaves the front of his lair. Setting up a refugium in the next couple of days, so I hope to have a good pod population going in a month's time. Preference given to interesting coloration and social personality that swims in the water column vs. mainly hiding in rock work. Not planning to upgrade any time soon, so please consider tank size when recommending.

TIA!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaks and possums are my favorite small wrasses, they both start out secretive but very quickly become bold and personable. Some other species on the Pseudocheilinus genus may work besides the sixline, namely the disappearing and mystery wrasses, though both of them do get a little bigger then the sixline.
Sixlines, eight lines and four lines are usually only aggressive to new additions, so they should be more then fine with your current stock if added now. But after you add it, that's the last thing going on the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back