Picking up aquarium in pick up truck help?

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on my way to pick up a 180g tank and a 120 g sump. The bed of my truck is about 2" too narrow (wheel wells) to fit them in flat. Any tips on getting both home without cracking them? I was thinking of leaving the sumo behind. Its an hour drive home.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build an elevated platform with 2x4's to get the tank up over the wheel wells. Then use ratchet straps to buckle the tank in place. Keep the buckles and hooks off the tank. Use the tie downs in your truck.

Like this here. Not my truck but I've done similar.to move sheet goods under my bed cover in the rain. I wouldn't even put the felt caps myself.
A62FEF06-3F00-485E-A13F-DF76C4305047.jpeg

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build an elevated platform with 2x4's to get the tank up over the wheel wells. Then use ratchet straps to buckle the tank in place. Keep the buckles and hooks off the tank. Use the tie downs in your truck.

Like this here. Not my truck but I've done similar.to move sheet goods under my bed cover in the rain. I wouldn't even put the felt caps myself.
A62FEF06-3F00-485E-A13F-DF76C4305047.jpeg
too late omy there

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on my way to pick up a 180g tank and a 120 g sump. The bed of my truck is about 2" too narrow (wheel wells) to fit them in flat. Any tips on getting both home without cracking them? I was thinking of leaving the sumo behind. Its an hour drive home.
Use tie downs. This is how I transported a 125 six foot tank that couldnt be taken off the stand and didnt have an issue, just make sure its tight and cover the glass

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we broke the tank moving it. it had a slot drilled across the 24" side along the top for an exterior overflow. when the galss was pushed to slide that side glass panel cracked
Oh no!!! Thats horrible

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no!!! Thats horrible
Yes. I'm not sure a glass tank should be slot drilled along the length of the side glass. When pushed on it cracked. A regular tank would not have cracked so I wonder if one day I might have burst. It was a nice 180 though

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hindsight 20-20 but I would never move a large tank without crating it.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the sump. But was gonna use it for the 180. I may try it under my 120 but I have to wait awhile. I was gonna possibly have gotten the tank today and sump tomorrow. Its a 125 3 chamber sump. I think the guy made a mistake. He cut a slot along the top of the side for an overflow. The slot was around 20" long and 1/2" to 3/4" tall. It really weakened that side and cracked when pushed.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I'm not sure a glass tank should be slot drilled along the length of the side glass. When pushed on it cracked. A regular tank would not have cracked so I wonder if one day I might have burst. It was a nice 180 though
Kinda sounds like you dodged a bullet to me. Did you take the parts you could at least for all the trouble?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
we broke the tank moving it. it had a slot drilled across the 24" side along the top for an exterior overflow. when the galss was pushed to slide that side glass panel cracked
Sorry to hear - Bummer

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the sump. But was gonna use it for the 180. I may try it under my 120 but I have to wait awhile. I was gonna possibly have gotten the tank today and sump tomorrow. Its a 125 3 chamber sump. I think the guy made a mistake. He cut a slot along the top of the side for an overflow. The slot was around 20" long and 1/2" to 3/4" tall. It really weakened that side and cracked when pushed.
You see holes for bulkheads but I’ve never heard of a slot almost as long as a panel especially. If just shoving on the side panel to load it cracked it then I agree that I wouldn’t have trusted it anyway.
Did you still take the cracked tank? I’ve never done it myself but you could probably buy a replacement piece of glass and take the tank apart and reassemble it for relatively cheap. Depending on how comfortable you are with such a project.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see holes for bulkheads but I’ve never heard of a slot almost as long as a panel especially. If just shoving on the side panel to load it cracked it then I agree that I wouldn’t have trusted it anyway.
Did you still take the cracked tank? I’ve never done it myself but you could probably buy a replacement piece of glass and take the tank apart and reassemble it for relatively cheap. Depending on how comfortable you are with such a project.
I thought about that too. I never did it though. I think its all in pieces now. But yeah there was no need to put a slot in glass. A hole or two would have been enough. The sump is really nice though. Its a 6 foot by 18" three chamber sump with a divided refugium in the center chamber. It has an auto top off float, and the last baffle is a bubble trap baffle. Its pretty basic but huge and very finctional.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, sorry to hear that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back