Chip in brand new 180 ugh plz help.

nckn8tr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys this will be my first post here and I’m really kinda sad it’s on these terms. I picked up a brand new 180gallon tank today and on my way home I’m assuming a rock or something kicked up and chipped a corner. Let me know if you guys think it’s okay or if I’m really **** out of luck. The chip did not make it all the way through and is in the top 4 inches of the tank. There are no cracks or spider webs around it either and the seal has not been damaged In any way. Could I put a strip of glass on the insides like a corner joint? I really don’t have an endless supply of money here.

IMG_1020.jpeg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. If anything use a little clear epoxy just to smooth it out. Put that side in the back and forget about it. Enjoy the new hobby!

OP
OP
N

nckn8tr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. If anything use a little clear epoxy just to smooth it out. Put that side in the back and forget about it. Enjoy the new hobby!

I should have added this picture also the part that’s actually in the tank not on corner is probable less than a sheet of paper.

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 90

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have added this picture also the part that’s actually in the tank not on corner is probable less than a sheet of paper.
Ouch…that’s worse than I thought. can you tell how deep that clamshell is? The only good this is this near the top which has less pressure… I’m not sure after seeing that picture.. if I’d trust anyone’s advice it would be @Joe Glass Cages and I’d imagine he’d say to replace that pane..

OP
OP
N

nckn8tr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch…that’s worse than I thought. can you tell how deep that clamshell is? The only good this is this near the top which has less pressure… I’m not sure after seeing that picture.. if I’d trust anyone’s advice it would be @Joe Glass Cages and I’d imagine he’d say to replace that pane..
The picture kind of makes it look worse than it is. In the very corner part is the only area that really is affected the other part is litteraly paper thin deep. At the very corner maybe 1/4inch deep then it’s immediately paper thin through.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck no that’s toast unfortunately.
I wouldn’t trust 180 gallons of water with a chunk that deep and big out of one of the weakest points in the tank (the corners)

How did it get a chip on the way home? Was it in the back of a truck or something?

OP
OP
N

nckn8tr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck no that’s toast unfortunately.
I wouldn’t trust 180 gallons of water with a chunk that deep and big out of one of the weakest points in the tank (the corners)

How did it get a chip on the way home? Was it in the back of a truck or something?
Trailer yes

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trailer yes
Ouch. Yea…. Outside transporting a mew tank without any cover is super risky. And unfortunately you got burned.

Cheapest option for a fix would be replacing that front panel but you gotta rip it apart to do so.
If you’re not DIY, gotta get a new tank.

Or if you feel safe with it, try it out, just know that it could leak or burst at any time and be prepared for that if it were to happen

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you read the replies from those who say 'sure go ahead' - many of them (no offense) - say 'should' be ok. I would speak with the company you bought the tank from (unless it was used) - would never use that tank at least on an upper floor

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a huge no from me. Get the panel replaced (the tank manufactuer can usually do it).
When in doubt, fill up a 5 gallon bucket and then empty it on your driveway. See how much that covered? Now imagine ~36x more water and dealing with livestock and salt in the house.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
appreciate the mention. @nckn8tr talked today. Got some pictures. This is a tough one.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back