Picking up fish from a local hobbyist

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a local guy that is getting out of the hobby. He is selling me all of his fish.

Its a great deal and I can turn in the ones I don't want to a local LFS for store credit.

I plan on qt'ing them as I don't trust anyone lol.

The question is do I just observe for 6 weeks or go the prophylactic treatment route? Do I de-worm too?

The fish all look super healthy, nice and fat, and according to him no new additions for 6+ months.

I hope I am not opening up a can of worms here :confused:

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, i'd just observe if they have been in a tank for a long period already.

Just a thought & maybe your LFS's livestock is in better condition than mine but why not post up the fish you aren't going to keep here? For sale locally? Disclose the situation and you might have them pending sale on your way to pick them up. I prefer to buy from local hobiests when possible, they'd probably go quick.

I only ask because thatd be a death sentence at most of my LFS! :eek:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna go the safe route, TTM all of them and also deworm using Prazipro: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

Or if you want to just observe that's fine too; just be sure to spend 10-15 minutes in front of the QT every single day to observe for behavioral symptoms of ich or flukes inside the gills:
  • Head twitching
  • Yawning
  • Scratching/flashing
  • Heavy breathing
  • Lack of appetite
  • Lethargy

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought & maybe your LFS's livestock is in better condition than mine but why not post up the fish you aren't going to keep here? For sale locally? Disclose the situation and you might have them pending sale on your way to pick them up. I prefer to buy from local hobiests when possible, they'd probably go quick.

That was a thought I had too. Would love to trade for a cool frag. Ill wait until the weekend as were are supposed to meet up then. Just to make sure I actually pick them up.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanna go the safe route, TTM all of them and also deworm using Prazipro: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

Or if you want to just observe that's fine too; just be sure to spend 10-15 minutes in front of the QT every single day to observe for behavioral symptoms of ich or flukes inside the gills:
  • Head twitching
  • Yawning
  • Scratching/flashing
  • Heavy breathing
  • Lack of appetite
  • Lethargy

@Humblefish your opinion is like gospel to me LOL. TTM it is!

Now the fish list is 3 tangs, a goby, and some clowns.
I have 3 10 gallons, a couple of 20 longs but they are in use now.
What's the smallest tank I can get away with for TTM as I don't want to be making salt water for days lol.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish your opinion is like gospel to me LOL. TTM it is!

Now the fish list is 3 tangs, a goby, and some clowns.
I have 3 10 gallons, a couple of 20 longs but they are in use now.
What's the smallest tank I can get away with for TTM as I don't want to be making salt water for days lol.

How big are the fish? Especially the tangs?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the 20 longs in this case. A couple 5 gallon buckets just won't cut it with those size fish. You might be able to do it with some sterilite containers from walmart though. Just a thought. I agree that TTM + prazipro would be the best idea in this case btw.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the 20 longs in this case. A couple 5 gallon buckets just won't cut it with those size fish. You might be able to do it with some sterilite containers from walmart though. Just a thought. I agree that TTM + prazipro would be the best idea in this case btw.

+1 A couple of 20 longs at a minimum.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok picked up the fish and it looks like the powder blue has ich. I had my 20 gallon long ready to go for all the fish. I matched temp and sg and released them.
Do I continue with TTM or switch plans and dose coppersafe.

My cp is on order and should be here sometime next week but one of the fish is a hippo tang so I can't use it.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he had some cysts on his fin and today they fell off. My first scheduled transfer is Tuesday (72 hours) I'm 99.9% sure it's ich since it was only a few spots and they were on the larger size. Plus he told me that he had battled ich before and they all made it thru. I think the stress of being netted weakened the immunity and it's sparked the ich again.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help with aggression in the qt. It turns out that the yellow tang is a jerk lol!
He keeps getting into it with the powder blue and has kept the blue hippo pinned in the corner.

Currently they are in a 20 gallon long with the first TT scheduled for tomorrow.

They are smaller than first expected.
All 3 are about 2-3 inches.

I plan on re-homing the yellow tang and the 2 clowns as soon as they get a clean bill of health as I cant pass sick fish on to someone else.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you set up a second tank for the yellow and clowns? Or possibly use egg crate to separate them? Add more PVC for hiding places?

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you set up a second tank for the yellow and clowns? Or possibly use egg crate to separate them? Add more PVC for hiding places?

I have 3 empty 10's laying around. Can I place the yellow and 2 clowns in the 10?

Oh and to make a bad situation worse. My CP came in today. All 120 MG's worth. Enough to treat a whole 3 gallons!!!!
I wish the vet had listened a wee bit more when I spoke to him! :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about just the yellow in the 10?

The clowns are peaceful.

Same applies. He's the one that might feel a bit cramped in there, but again, if the aggression is bad enough it might be better than leaving him with the others.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'll do the first TTM tomorrow and see if a change of pvc layout changes his attitude.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back