Pico flow

JohnTheFisherman

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 19, 2025
Messages
17
Reaction score
23
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what are you guys using for flow in your pico/nano tanks? Right now I’m using the hygger dc easy control in the smallest version. I really want to like it but I’ve been coming home to it not working and I need to change it ASAP. Any recommendations?
 
I have been running two of these in my 32-gal for just over one year. I clean them every 6-8 weeks in a citric acid solution. I have been pretty happy with them:
https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-Fish-Controller-Circulation-Freshwater/dp/B0FDR4ZL8P/ref=mp_s_a_1_18

Edit:
I also have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-SOW-3N-Controller-Marine-Aquarium/dp/B0BVT6TT78/ref=mp_s_a_1_10
I needed low flow for over my sand bed. This also works well, but I've only had it about 6 months, so I'm not ready to recommend it yet. It might work well in your smaller tank. Compare flow rate specs to your present pump. They also come in larger sizes.
 
Last edited:
I've had good success with the smallest AQQA wavemaker from Amazon (it was like $12). It looks like they recently discontinued that model in favor of a slightly larger one. No controllability, but in a pico tank, you can deflect flow off the glass or a rock and get all kinds of random eddies and whatnot.

How big is your tank?
 
Thats too bad, I just bought that hyyger last month and so far I've been happy and thinking of buying a bunch more for my other tanks. But I think I'll wait a bit and see how long this one lasts.

Jebao makes a similar one that is slightly more expensive, and its been running in one of my tanks now for almost 2 years.
 
I've had good success with the smallest AQQA wavemaker from Amazon (it was like $12). It looks like they recently discontinued that model in favor of a slightly larger one. No controllability, but in a pico tank, you can deflect flow off the glass or a rock and get all kinds of random eddies and whatnot.

How big is your tank?
7 gallon lagoon
 
Thats too bad, I just bought that hyyger last month and so far I've been happy and thinking of buying a bunch more for my other tanks. But I think I'll wait a bit and see how long this one lasts.

Jebao makes a similar one that is slightly more expensive, and its been running in one of my tanks now for almost 2 years.
Seems like hygger makes a couple mini models. I’m considering buying a different hygger because its worked the best (minus it randomly turning off). When I take it apart and put it back together there’s nothing caught up in the impeller or the motor. Not sure if there’s slime or something messing with it. Since I made this thread it hasn’t stopped working ofc 😂
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new