OP
MadsDK

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 4th of November, I went to my LFS and bought a Hanna Salinity Tester and the parameters are now in check in both of my reef tanks. The vase does not have any cyano/diatoms anymore and the corals are again looking healthy. The next step is restocking the reef vase with corals, acquiring a pistol shrimp, a porcelain crab/sexy shrimp, a royal gramma, and moving the two clowns to my larger reef system.

Current corals in the reef vase include:
* blue mushrooms
* green paly
* Kenya tree
* xenia (introduced again and doing well)
* 2 bubble-tip anemones

Any suggestions?

Here are a couple of photos ;)

P_20201120_132400.jpg
P_20201120_132409.jpg
P_20201120_132420.jpg

Last edited:

TankMaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing, I love your setup. What are your nitrates and phosphates? I have some of the same corals but your looks so much better

OP
OP
MadsDK

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already looks tank of the month again, fast!
I will wait until the tank is back in its prime, which it is far from :)

This is amazing, I love your setup. What are your nitrates and phosphates? I have some of the same corals but your looks so much better
Nitrate (NO3) is about 0-1 ppm, phosphate (PO4) is about 0,01 ppm, salinity at 34,6, and temp 24,6 degrees celsius.
The Blue mushrooms will need a trim soon, they are overgrowing my palythoas.

Thanks all for the nice words, I will keep posting updates.

TankMaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will wait until the tank is back in its prime, which it is far from :)

Nitrate (NO3) is about 0-1 ppm, phosphate (PO4) is about 0,01 ppm, salinity at 34,6, and temp 24,6 degrees celsius.
The Blue mushrooms will need a trim soon, they are overgrowing my palythoas.

Thanks all for the nice words, I will keep posting updates.
How do you do tank maintenance? Do you remove all the rock to get to the mushrooms? Also, where do you keep your heater?

OP
OP
MadsDK

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do tank maintenance? Do you remove all the rock to get to the mushrooms? Also, where do you keep your heater?
weekly/biweekly water changes (5 liters of 35 liter total). The aquascape now consists of only two big rocks så easy to lift up the top rock. Normally I will do maintenance and pruning when doing water changes to avoid the vase overflowing. There is no heater in the tank, i just have a warm home :p

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m absolutely loving your tank! And I love the idea of a group of sexy shrimp in there. They are really cool to watch and are always out.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

OP
OP
MadsDK

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering shutting the pico reef, either by selling it or by transferring it to my 300-liter system, so that I can focus down my energy on my relatively new 300-liter system,

The vase does not get the love that it needs as my focus is on my larger reef tank.
  • By shutting down the pico reef I will transfer my inhabitants (fish, inverts, corals), rock, and sand to the larger system so that nothing is lost. I will keep the equipment from the pico reef so that I might one day start the system up again as a new future project :)
  • By selling the vase, the pico reef might live on and return to its full glory again, but in the hands of new owners.

Anny thourghts?

Bruce99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can i you tell me more about the light you have? I think i have the same one and my tank is not doing that good. Let me know if you made any modifications to it, thanks

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MadsDK would love to see an update on your pico and large DT cylinder!!

Mind me asking what dimensions, or mainly how tall is the pico? I'm thinking of getting a glass vase to start this project also. Not sure whether to get a 10x10, 10x16, or 10x12 (inches)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back