Pinched disks

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

For a few weeks now some of my play strains in my set up began having pinched edges of their skirt/disk. Other polyps looked fine and showed no major problems. After waiting it out to see if it was just some random agitation, I saw the trend getting worse.

pnz1.jpg

Now I did notice a nudibranch a few weeks before this. I noticed one months ago as well, both were picked out immediately though and I've never seen any (even small ones) in between these two sightings. I feel that I have a good eye and am keeping a good tabs on inspecting night and day. The test kits were brought out as well and I noticed that my phosphates were much higher than normal.

pnz2.jpg

Since then, the coral has mostly improved as my phosphates levels have been dropping. For example, all of the three strains affected (Blue Rhino, Big Bangs, Greens) in the above picture have fully recovered and are growing nicely.

But two strains have been getting worse.

pnz3.jpg

pnz5.jpg

Another affected zoa..
pnz4.jpg

Has anyone ever seen anything like this or have any ideas as to what the true culprit is? The higher phosphate levels? Pests?

I'm doing a big overhaul to the aquarium this weekend, so there will be a big water change and a good opportunity to dip if needed.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back