Pincushion Urchin and Acan and Toadstool

Chemaholic

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2022
Messages
149
Reaction score
55
Location
NA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a pincushion urchin in my tank for a few weeks and he has been a great addition. This last week he started crawling all over coral frags I have been adding to the tank. It looked like he was eating the algae off of the frag disks so I did not worry.

This past weekend I added a toadstool and acan. The urchin immediately crawled on the acan for most of the day. When he crawled off it looked like there was some white stuff on the acan with marks in it like the urchin was scraping at it. The urchin crawled onto the toadstool yesterday and this morning when he crawled off the toadstool had shrunk up and my wife swears it looks chewed on.

Before I added the urchin I read up on it and they are supposed to be reef safe. I have started feeding the urchin algae chips to keep him from looking for food elsewhere. Has anyone heard of a pincushion urchin eating coral? I will post some pictures when I get home.

Thank you in advance for your time.
 
I have a pincushion urchin in my tank for a few weeks and he has been a great addition. This last week he started crawling all over coral frags I have been adding to the tank. It looked like he was eating the algae off of the frag disks so I did not worry.

This past weekend I added a toadstool and acan. The urchin immediately crawled on the acan for most of the day. When he crawled off it looked like there was some white stuff on the acan with marks in it like the urchin was scraping at it. The urchin crawled onto the toadstool yesterday and this morning when he crawled off the toadstool had shrunk up and my wife swears it looks chewed on.

Before I added the urchin I read up on it and they are supposed to be reef safe. I have started feeding the urchin algae chips to keep him from looking for food elsewhere. Has anyone heard of a pincushion urchin eating coral? I will post some pictures when I get home.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Tuxedos are safe. Everything else ... is dicey.

A picture of what you have would be helpful.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new