Pink Goniopora retracted

Ree0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Hopefully nothing to worry about but thought I would ask for some advice just incase. I had this pink Goniopora in the tank for a few weeks and had been open and fine. About a week ago it fully retracted into its skeleton and hasn’t come back out. Any ideas why I can do?

I have been checking my parameters and my salinity did drop briefly (approximately 1.019) when I got my new Hanna salinity pen but this has now been rectified and has been stable for about 4 days now. As per the picture.

I’m hoping I just need to be patient with it but ‍♂️

IMG_1183.jpeg IMG_1184.png

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your typical Mag lvl? I find LPS like elevated mag.

Also, are you still increasing salinity? Target should be 1.026

OP
OP
Ree0712

Ree0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your typical Mag lvl? I find LPS like elevated mag.

Also, are you still increasing salinity? Target should be 1.026
When the salinity dropped the mag did also. It is normally around the 1300-1350. I am slowly bringing the salinity up, it used to be always around 1.025 so I am trying to get back to around there. The tank isn’t all that old in all honesty, approx 10 months maybe. I have calcium, magnesium etc I can dose but I don’t want to just dump it in to bring it back up. I have been doing it slowly daily

OP
OP
Ree0712

Ree0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above and you have bottomed out nutrients levels for LPS so your corals are starving to death.
What would you suggest I aim for in your opinion? I know things react and grow different in different set ups but just something to aim for I guess

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you suggest I aim for in your opinion? I know things react and grow different in different set ups but just something to aim for I guess
I have an SPS dominant mixed reef with a lot of LPS. I like nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate is .26 now but I'd prefer. 1 to .2. I have found letting the tank decide its sweet spot works out best for stability.

OP
OP
Ree0712

Ree0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SPS dominant mixed reef with a lot of LPS. I like nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate is .26 now but I'd prefer. 1 to .2. I have found letting the tank decide its sweet spot works out best for stability.
I don’t have a huge amount in the tank corals wise. I have an encrusting monti, a
Jack-o-lantern Leptoseris, two fungia and a few diffent colour zoas. Suggest getting the nitrate up a little then?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a huge amount in the tank corals wise. I have an encrusting monti, a
Jack-o-lantern Leptoseris, two fungia and a few diffent colour zoas. Suggest getting the nitrate up a little then?
Only if you want your corals to live longer then short term. At least 5 to 10 for those corals in addition to correcting the other aforementioned areas.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep in mind you may be best off dosing nitrates when the tank is young. IME, dry rock especially, the tank will suck up Nitrates for a while after the cycle before it stabilizes. I think many times the bottled bacteria we use to jump-start new dry rock tanks is almost too efficient for young tanks.

OP
OP
Ree0712

Ree0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep in mind you may be best off dosing nitrates when the tank is young. IME, dry rock especially, the tank will suck up Nitrates for a while after the cycle before it stabilizes. I think many times the bottled bacteria we use to jump-start new dry rock tanks is almost too efficient for young tanks.
What would be best to use?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes certain coral will thrive in one person's tank and die in another's. I'm in the latter when it comes to goni, can't keep them alive no matter what. High nutrients low nutrients different light flow etc. They just wither away while other lps thrive. Last batch I tried where cultured in a fellow members tank and thriving there. Looked good for a few weeks then stopped extending and died. This tank at the time was 7 years old with NO3 15 PO4 0.4 alk 8.0-8.3 pH 8.3 when tested. Just saying

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes certain coral will thrive in one person's tank and die in another's. I'm in the latter when it comes to goni, can't keep them alive no matter what. High nutrients low nutrients different light flow etc. They just wither away while other lps thrive. Last batch I tried where cultured in a fellow members tank and thriving there. Looked good for a few weeks then stopped extending and died. This tank at the time was 7 years old with NO3 15 PO4 0.4 alk 8.0-8.3 pH 8.3 when tested. Just saying
Funny how we all have a couple types of corals that just don't work in the tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or could I try to take out a mantis block and let it rise that way? Reduce the amount of filtration in the tank? Sorry if this is a silly question
The easiest way to start is just feed fish more. Frozen will raise nitrates. Feed corals reef roids or similar once or twice a week will raise phosphate.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way to start is just feed fish more. Frozen will raise nitrates. Feed corals reef roids or similar once or twice a week will raise phosphate.
Agree but in a young tank I think dosing nutrients results in less nuisance algae and detritus build up than overfeeding. I still dose a small amount of No3 throughout the week to keep my lvls where i want them despite heavy feeding

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people struggle to keep gonipora even in mature tanks.. I had introduced 3 varieties a few months ago, my tank is 4.5 years old with SPS only (90% acropora, 10% montipora) - even then only 2 made it to now with one colony having slowly melted away..

So chances that yours will survive long term are probably not very high. Better to start with some hardier corals in my experience, before introducing corals that are more difficult to keep.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back