Pink linkia?

Reef Creeper

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2015
Messages
151
Reaction score
46
Location
Riverside, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this starfish from my lfs about a month ago and he was a model citizen for a few weeks. Last week however, I caught him snacking on my setosa so I threw him in the sump for now. It was sold to me as a pink knobby linkia from Fiji and I was told it was reef safe but I can't seem to find any more info on it. I'd like to keep him as he's the coolest thing in my tank by far but I'd rather not lose a couple thousand dollars worth of coral either. Any idea what this guy is or if he's reef safe or not?
 
I found another site that had a picture similar to yours. They had it named Echinaster echinophorus. When I checked liveaquaria it listed it as not reef safe. I may be wrong but the starfish I found looked very similar.
 
image.jpg
 
That's funny, my kids call him Patrick.

I looked up echinaster echinophorus and aside from them both having "thorns" or "knobs" mine appears to be something different. Maybe they are related but to me it looks a lot like a linkia which made sense to me when I bought it. Looked just like the blue linkia I had in a previous setup. I'll try and get a couple different pics up.
 
So, after more research I think have this guy properly identified as Mithrodia Fisheri. They are native to Hawaii, and not commonly found at scuba depths. Not from Fiji and definitely not a Linkia. Burned by the lfs again. Anybody want a montipora eating starfish?
 
Not a linckia, not reef safe.

In general, knobby star = coral eater.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new