Pink palletta and the vinh care, placement tips ?

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all just got a Frag of the vinh and pink paletta, what's the best placement and care requirements for these sps ? also if you guys have theses can you share pic ?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both.

Had PPT for a LONG time and Vinh since it came out.

PPT is a bit more demanding, needs more NSW ish water parameters and can bleach or die when others might not care. It is not super-hard or anything, but it is also not a super-easy weed.

Vinh is an easy coral. It will be darker with more green with higher building block levels and it can get a nice white and blue contrast with lower N and P. To each their own, but I really like the low building block colors.

I keep both under high light Metal Halide with true full-spectrm and they grow fast and look good. I would get them at least 250 PAR, but 350-400 might be more idea.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have both mid level in the tank below Orphek V4's; so about 300 PAR. Medium to heavy flow. Both are healthy and growing.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current paletta pink tip is in the upper portion of my tank lit ati t5 fixture and Sb led bar (375-400 Apogee readings). I’ve always kept them high in placement and strong water flow under halides. In general it’s not the fastest grower my current one took 12 months up until one of my point of sale gyres went out I replaced it with two wave pumps now has formed rapidly formed 3 new tips in a matter weeks, but had put a good base early on. As things grew around it (tri-color and milles) flow hardly got to it, just how it worked out the only “exceptional note”. The Vihn is easily satisfied decent light and flow level how much light will yeild different shades of color.

Last edited:

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my Vinh at 400-450 PAR .

RR The Vinh 1.JPG

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had the Paletta pink tip since 2005. It will do best mid tank level, but I really doubt it's that demanding from a light perspective. The pink tips will be longer and more intense with par of 300 or above. I don't use LED so my measurements were under T5.

Flow is more important............give it plenty of flow so it makes a large base and then you'll get a ton of sprouts off that base. It can be slow going at first and look all green and ugly but once the base is in you'll get a ton of colorful sprouts.

48452676521_f445e059e5_c.jpg

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the PPT (originally P Green with Pink Tip) in many systems. Always looked good, medium grower. I have a huge colony this time that I got from a trusted local source tank break down. It's all pink though under LED about 300 PAR. Recently added T5 and moved to a lower location hoping for some green. Any ideas?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back