Pink Panther Growth Progression

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice JDA! I'll be getting a piece soon of the OG Pink Panther too! Hope it's growing as fast as yours!

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be about the same speed as OG Tyree Purple Monster. ...which is just a tad slower than OBT for me, or maybe the same. The guy who I got this from has a piece about the size of an apple and I can see new growth every time that I see it. He does not frag it hardly ever, which I am sure helps with the growth rate. I was really lucky to get this piece.

Mine is really starting to get that electric glow as it has settled in and gained some more size. This is a really nice coral.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be about the same speed as OG Tyree Purple Monster. ...which is just a tad slower than OBT for me, or maybe the same. The guy who I got this from has a piece about the size of an apple and I can see new growth every time that I see it. He does not frag it hardly ever, which I am sure helps with the growth rate. I was really lucky to get this piece.

Mine is really starting to get that electric glow as it has settled in and gained some more size. This is a really nice coral.

That's good to know. It took my PM almost a year to grow from a 3/4" nub from Unique Corals to something about the size of your Pink Panther. That was through a tank move though so data is slightly skewed. It ended up succumbing to my weird November and I got another PM and starting the process over.

My OBT grows like wild at colony size. If the pink panther can grow at the same rate once larger, we may be able to disperse this piece a lot more to other reefers to bank it and share it to keep the line going.

I had to dangle a couple gold torch heads in front of someone before they would agree to cut me a piece. I'm lucky he's even doing that. He got his original from Battlecorals.

Thanks for posting this JDA. Its getting me excited about my future frag!

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to see how this grows in, but I think that OG PP and OG PM are probably the same coral with different colorations. I reserve the right to change my mind, and others certainly do not agree, but I have them about 4" apart in my tank and they look the same.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to see how this grows in, but I think that OG PP and OG PM are probably the same coral with different colorations. I reserve the right to change my mind, and others certainly do not agree, but I have them about 4" apart in my tank and they look the same.
I look forward to your observations. Is your PM a pretty good size?

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a pic of a guy in our area who has a basement shop and has the dfs pink panther. Very nice piece. Lazy's frag house. He might even have one for sale. I have a fully encrusted frag of it that I am banking for him. It is a slow grower but worth the wait.
http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=21768.0
sorry the pic didnt attach

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of a guy in our area who has a basement shop and has the dfs pink panther. Very nice piece. Lazy's frag house. He might even have one for sale. I have a fully encrusted frag of it that I am banking for him. It is a slow grower but worth the wait.
http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=21768.0
sorry the pic didnt attach
We can't see the pic unless we belong to that group. A member here on reef2reef named Renton, posted a pic of his DFS pink panther and it was stunning!

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is mine that I got from Lazylivin. it was just a nub when I first got it.
Jeff
pinkpanther.jpg

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the PP is the slowest growing acro I’ve ever had. I just got a small frag a month ago and it has shown no growth, lol. I also had a frag a couple years ago and all it did was encrust. I feel that the PP doesn’t tolerate high light as I partially bleached mine under 400 watt halides. I just moved my frag to a different part of the tank.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the PP is the slowest growing acro I’ve ever had. I just got a small frag a month ago and it has shown no growth, lol. I also had a frag a couple years ago and all it did was encrust. I feel that the PP doesn’t tolerate high light as I partially bleached mine under 400 watt halides. I just moved my frag to a different part of the tank.
Might be the halides. I just checked my corals the other day and my panther is under 410 par with leds/t-5 supplement. It seems to be doing pretty good at that level so far.
Jeff

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is more pink with an electric sheen in real life. I am horrible with photos even though I have nice stuff, I guess that I just don't care enough to figure it out. It looks like the one that thirst posted from the side, but from the top, is more electric where the light hits it - I imagine that his/hers is too.

If you remember the old Atlantis Rosy Red Granulosa, the rest is similar to that, but the ARRG does not have the electric sheen to it like the PP does. The electric sheen that I am talking about is similar to the one in OG Tyree PM... but pink instead of purple.

Back