Pink Streaked Wrasse feeding

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I've had my pink streaked wrasse for about a month now, and when I had him in the acclimation box, he obviously ate a ton, but now that it's out in the open tank, the food doesn't have enough time to reach him before the other fish snatch it up.
He eats like a pig, but he's also scared of everything, including the food itself and the pipette I use to get the food to reach him if he won't come up for the food.

He's been in the main tank for about 3 weeks, so he's still settling in, and hides a lot, so I can't expect him to be super comfortable and compete for food yet.
He's had about 5 or so little mysis shrimps in the last week. I fattened him up so much before he went into the tank, so he is honestly chubbier than all the other fish, bar my female clown.

My main question is should I be concerned if he isn't managing to get a huge amount of food yet? A very stationary fish at the moment, and not loosing weight.

Thanks.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're pod eaters so he's feeding on those and other micro fauna since he's not able to compete for food yet. As long as he isn't being chased or bullied he'll eventually settle in enough to compete with the others. Mine took a couple of months to fully settle, but now he'll come up to the glass and beg for food lol

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're pod eaters so he's feeding on those and other micro fauna since he's not able to compete for food yet. As long as he isn't being chased or bullied he'll eventually settle in enough to compete with the others. Mine took a couple of months to fully settle, but now he'll come up to the glass and beg for food lol
Thanks, that's great to hear. I have a thriving pod population, and regularly see him picking those off the rocks and glass.
He chills with the other fish, and they don't bully him.
I'm not worried about him, I just wanted some reassurance that this was normal lol.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SaltyT
Thanks for the help yesterday, when I fed the tank today, he ate at least 10 shrimp, so I think he's becoming confident enough to compete a little bit.
That's great to hear! Sounds like he's settling in faster than mine did, nice work!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back