Pink stringy gelatinous junk--what may it be?

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gal AIO mixed reef. Has it ups and downs. A couple years old. Finally was able to have some SPS start to color up and grow. Torches and hammers were growing. GHA had went away. There are a few fish, shrimp, clam, CUC in the tank. I started feeding Reef Nutrition Artic Pods and Mysis shrimp as read in recommendations. Small amounts per directions every 2-3 days. After about a month, I started noticing a pink stringy gelatinous stuff forming in the filter area (about the same color as the Artic pods container). Then had a hair algae break. Corals started bleaching. Protein skimmer stopped performing. So did a big clean after trying to figure out the cause. Pumps and pipes were clogged with the stuff. It was everywhere in the filter area. Protein skimmer nozzles were plugged with the stuff. In all, it has taken about 3 cleanings to rid most of the stuff while again fighting GHA. Stopped using the Reef Nutrition and seems to help. Basic parameters were within normal range. Always had high phosphates. Actually, nitrates dropped. Fish and shrimp all accounted for. Clam alive. LPS shriveled up, but still alive (barely). 10% water changes weekly. Anyone else have such an experience? Possible identity of the stuff? Causes? It was very strange to me, since all seemed to be going decently. Sorry, no pictures of the gunk.

Thanks for your time to review.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gal AIO mixed reef. Has it ups and downs. A couple years old. Finally was able to have some SPS start to color up and grow. Torches and hammers were growing. GHA had went away. There are a few fish, shrimp, clam, CUC in the tank. I started feeding Reef Nutrition Artic Pods and Mysis shrimp as read in recommendations. Small amounts per directions every 2-3 days. After about a month, I started noticing a pink stringy gelatinous stuff forming in the filter area (about the same color as the Artic pods container). Then had a hair algae break. Corals started bleaching. Protein skimmer stopped performing. So did a big clean after trying to figure out the cause. Pumps and pipes were clogged with the stuff. It was everywhere in the filter area. Protein skimmer nozzles were plugged with the stuff. In all, it has taken about 3 cleanings to rid most of the stuff while again fighting GHA. Stopped using the Reef Nutrition and seems to help. Basic parameters were within normal range. Always had high phosphates. Actually, nitrates dropped. Fish and shrimp all accounted for. Clam alive. LPS shriveled up, but still alive (barely). 10% water changes weekly. Anyone else have such an experience? Possible identity of the stuff? Causes? It was very strange to me, since all seemed to be going decently. Sorry, no pictures of the gunk.

Thanks for your time to review.
This is a new aquarium? A picture under white lights will help identify the organism.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry dude, but pictures are generally more helpful than a wall of text.

Without pics I'm just guessing, but if you have jello developing in your tank, my first guess and question would be to ask about how much flow you have.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back