Pink/White substance settling on chaeto..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had this problem for a while and it seems to be really effecting my tank and chaeto growth. I have been getting this bad outbreak of some sort of algae I suppose that is pink/white and slimy. It stays on top of the chaeto in the refugium section of my tank.

Any ideas without a photo for now?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this problem for a while and it seems to be really effecting my tank and chaeto growth. I have been getting this bad outbreak of some sort of algae I suppose that is pink/white and slimy. It stays on top of the chaeto in the refugium section of my tank.

Any ideas without a photo for now?
What fuge light are you using rev? And what's your lighting schedule? I'm currently battling a similar issue. Its almost like a white fuzzy algae/bacteria forming on my walls and then on my chaeto

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What fuge light are you using rev? And what's your lighting schedule? I'm currently battling a similar issue. Its almost like a white fuzzy algae/bacteria forming on my walls and then on my chaeto

I'm using the Kessil H380 and going 24/7.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Kessil H380 and going 24/7.
Same here. H380, but i've severely reduced my lighting schedule. I run it reverse the display tank. After the lights go off at 8pm the fuge kicks on at 9, stays on for 3 hours, turns off for an hour and on for three, and so on until the display tank turns back on and it stays off for the entire day. I haven't noticed it subsiding any so I may shorten my schedule even more.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same here. H380, but i've severely reduced my lighting schedule. I run it reverse the display tank. After the lights go off at 8pm the fuge kicks on at 9, stays on for 3 hours, turns off for an hour and on for three, and so on until the display tank turns back on and it stays off for the entire day. I haven't noticed it subsiding any so I may shorten my schedule even more.

WOW you have that "stuff" going on as well?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW you have that "stuff" going on as well?
I'm experiencing almost the exact same thing. Its like a slimy consistancy algae or bacteria that is covering my fuge and the chaeto. It doesn't come off the walls easily either..
@revhtree, have you tried tumbling the chateo?
Mine is constantly tumbling with about 600 gallons per hour running through my sump, and it still seems to grab hold if that helps :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cyano, i just drained ~50 gallons of saltwater out of my fuge also ran chemiclean to stop the cyano there. everything is back to running as of last night so we will see what it looks like in a few weeks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try to snap a picture when I get home tonight. Its hard though as all the walls are covered in it, so I cannot get a good "inside" picture because my camera keeps wanting to focus on the outside wall.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm experiencing almost the exact same thing. Its like a slimy consistancy algae or bacteria that is covering my fuge and the chaeto. It doesn't come off the walls easily either..
Mine is constantly tumbling with about 600 gallons per hour running through my sump, and it still seems to grab hold if that helps :)

Yes and it's nasty and has almost killed off my chaeto.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cyano, i just drained ~50 gallons of saltwater out of my fuge also ran chemiclean to stop the cyano there. everything is back to running as of last night so we will see what it looks like in a few weeks.

It doesn't look like cyanobacteria and doesn't behave the same way. It's unlike anything I have ever seen.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like cyanobacteria and doesn't behave the same way. It's unlike anything I have ever seen.
Cyano is usually long and stringy, this almost appears short and fuzzy until you take it out and it turns slimy. Is this what you're dealing with as well @revhtree

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cyano is usually long and stringy, this almost appears short and fuzzy until you take it out and it turns slimy. Is this what you're dealing with as well @revhtree

Yes! I will get a photo.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you carbon dosing by chance (possible bacterial response)?

No I am currently not doing anything at all. I had been running UV.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180113_183920_zpsdg2g6yye.jpg

that was mine, maybe not apples to apples then?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing by chance (possible bacterial response)?
I tried carbon dosing, and it didn't seem to help so I stopped as some of my corals seemed upset with it.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 56 59.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%
Back