Pinkface Wrasse Flashing

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pinkface that I’ve had for four or five months flashes pretty regularly, skipping his sides off of the rocks. Been doing it since day one but eats like a pig and is super active.

My tank definitely has ich in it as a few fish showed signs a few months ago, but haven’t seen signs for a long time. I run a 55W UV, so maybe that keeps it at bay?

Is this common wrasse behavior or is this just a symptom of ich that isn’t visible?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pink face doesn’t scratch on the aquascape or the sand so probably due to the ich or maybe flukes as well.
E7A22CEA-09FD-4ADD-AEFD-93B2FAE95C90.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be anything that attacks the gills. Any parasite or worm. It is not normal for a wrasse to scratch.

Wrasse do have a thick mucus layer and often harbor parasites without seeing the normal white spots etc.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last new addition to the tank? Was it quarantined before going into the DT?

No new additions (Fish) for months, but plenty of coral recently. My wife and I had a baby right when I restarted this tank, so I took my chances and did not QT new additions. Yes, I know better and I’ve been a religious QT’r in the past.

So, I’ll assume the wrasse has something, but I’m not going to treat it since all other fish show no symptoms and the wrasse seems fine, except for flashes now and then.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back