pipettes - reuse or toss?

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pipettes for distributing frozen food. I was rinsing and reusing, as thoroughly as I can, but then I started worrying about bacteria growing in the pipette. So recently I bought a big bag and I’ve been tossing them.

Sorry for the newb question, but what do you seasoned vets do?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reuse. Rinse after using. Replace if and when I see dried debris that won't come out.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father is a veterinarian and he often brings me bags upon bags of tiny (like 7 ml) pipettes ant I just throw away after using. I've still got hundreds.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to be nice to the planet. No reason they cant be reused for awhile.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father is a veterinarian and he often brings me bags upon bags of tiny (like 7 ml) pipettes ant I just throw away after using. I've still got hundreds.
I read this as "my father is a vegetarian," and I was very confused and concerned haha.

I typically use them, then rinse them immediately after usage. If they start to get too gunky, then you can always stick'em in a bleach bath (make sure to fill them!) and leave them alone for a while to dry and get rid of any nasties.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a zip strip to feed my fish. It picks up a nice chunk of frozen and fits inbetween my egg crate nicely. Easy to wash off too.

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this as "my father is a vegetarian," and I was very confused and concerned haha.

I typically use them, then rinse them immediately after usage. If they start to get too gunky, then you can always stick'em in a bleach bath (make sure to fill them!) and leave them alone for a while to dry and get rid of any nasties.

~ 1/4 bleach by volume? less?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean... I’ve been using the same pee cup for a year now so why not reuse my pipettes too?? I prefer a syringe just because I feel like it’s a little more controlled but I use the pipettes for water testing, dosing, and gently blowing debris/detritus off of frags and stuff, mine don’t really ever get dirty but I still make a point to wash em out and reuse.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back