Pistol shrimp and goby not pairing

NOG_Bignodism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I got a problem with my shrimp and goby, They're not pairing up. I got this pistol shrimp(Alpheus heterochaelis) for a period of time and so I thought that "hey would it be nice if I add a goby" so I go and buy a yellow watchman goby and i Add it to the tank near the pistol shrimp and the pistol shrimp blast the goby and pouring out sand. Is my pistol shrimp a wrong type? (Sorry for bad english)

large.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my pistol shrimp a wrong type?
Yeah, Alpheus heterochaelis won't pair with a goby - they actually pair with Atlantic Mud Crabs (Panopeus herbstii):
Just pointing this out, Alpehus heterochaelis is actually a known filter feeder, not a predator:

"Along the U.S. mid-Atlantic seaboard, the bigclaw snapping shrimp, Alpheus heterochaelis (Say), is associated with intertidal and shallow subtidal soft-sediment habitats (e.g., oyster reefs and mudflats) and is reported to be restricted to shallow burrows and depressions beneath oyster shells adjacent to salt marsh habitat (Hay and Shore, 1915; Williams, 1965; Nolan and Salmon, 1970; Lippson and Lippson, 1984; Williams, 1984). These shrimp are relatively sedentary, filter feeding from within their shelter from waters drawn into burrows by paddling with modified pleopods (Nolan and Salmon, 1970; Lippson and Lippson, 1984)."*

"Alpheus heterochaelis, another filter feeder, is commonly found among shells (Williams 1984)"**

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back