Pistol shrimp sibstrate

Wickedtuna248

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m ordering a pistol shrimp and watchman goby pair and am wondering if caribsea crushed coral substrate would be good enough for it to burrow in.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with the substrate, should be fine.

Just posted this pic in my thread, my pistol is strong enough to move turbo snail shells, frag plus, even quarter+ sized loose rock if he wants to. Just be wary of frags on the sand bed!

1000014977.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use crushed coral and they had no issue at all. One thing though, if you put your rocks on top of the crushed coral instead of rocks first, I would not allow in tank.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use crushed coral and they had no issue at all. One thing though, if you put your rocks on top of the crushed coral instead of rocks first, I would not allow in tank.
i second this. make sure the rocks are stable on the glass before putting in sand. the shrimp will excavate sand and if you have rocks on top of sand, things can be disheveled/knocked over.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i did crushed coral lol. I went with a medium grain fiji sand and my shrimp makes a mess!

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wish i did crushed coral lol. I went with a medium grain fiji sand and my shrimp makes a mess!

During the last tank move I switched from the finer stuff to CaribSea Special Grade, much bigger granuals, and I'm glad I did so. It's a good middle ground I think, will be using again.

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my pistol....

Before I added sand, I took small pieces of live rock and placed them as a foundation on the bottom glass. Then I used larger flat pieces of live rock on top of the foundation pieces. I then backfilled it all with sand. Now the goby and shrimp can dig to their hearts content without having to worry about rocks shifting around due to moving sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back