Pistol shrimp cunstruction

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp the last two days has moved probably at least several pounds of sand. I had about 2- 2 1/2 inches of sand and he has piled up 5 inch mounds and caused a huge mess. It's whatever and I laughed about it.

My concern is my tank is only 7-8 weeks old and I remembered week 3 I had the impulse to vacuum my sand and caused a new bloom. Will this guy cause a diatom bloom or mess my cycle up. Everything has been rock solid the last couple weeks and added 4 fish and significant coralline growth.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pistol shrimp, each with their own goby, and a diamond goby. My substrate shifts more than the Sahara desert. I've had 0 issues from them(other than sand in my acans). I'd imagine it could only be beneficial and help to prevent detritus from settling under the top layer

KJ Coral shop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything mine has helped. Only issue I have had is them thying to cover my plate coral in sand!

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything are fine if you don't plan to add any corals that need to be on sand bed.

OP
OP
Hunter399

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Thanks for the help, I am still going through the process of waiting for my tank to mature so I was watching it happen and had the thought he could be stirring stuff up. Which can be good!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back