Pistol shrimp/goby crushed under rock

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably worrying too much, but my pistol shrimp and goby haven't come out yet today. Missed morning feeding time. I'm worried they dug out too much under the rock they've been living under and it's crushed them, or they're trapped.

Is that a thing that happens? It's a single flattish rock I made out of cement and rubble I was planning on putting zoas on. (which they've mostly buried, so so much for that plan) It shouldn't be that heavy. I've resisted the urge to lift the rock to check. Don't want to stress them out unnecessarily. But tomorrow morning is water change day and I might have to if they don't show up before then.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have anything that blows, you should make sure your rock is touching tge bottom of the tank, and not just sitting on the sand. It can and will crush them. At this point, waiting it out wouldn't hurt, because if they were crushed, checking on the today, or a few days from now, wouldn't change the outcome

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have anything that blows, you should make sure your rock is touching tge bottom of the tank, and not just sitting on the sand. It can and will crush them. At this point, waiting it out wouldn't hurt, because if they were crushed, checking on the today, or a few days from now, wouldn't change the outcome
This was the only rock I kindof nestled into the sand. It isn't structural so I didn't think much of it. It was just going to be a zoa island. Gonna be bummed if that mistake killed them.
You put the rock in before or after the sand?
This one was after. Of course the only rock that could be a problem would be the one they decide to live under.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will disappear for a couple of days when the shrimp molts. I guess the goby doesn't leave his side. He certainly doesn't when they are out and about.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will disappear for a couple of days when the shrimp molts. I guess the goby doesn't leave his side. He certainly doesn't when they are out and about.
I was going to say this as well. If my shrimp molts they both stay hidden for a couple days.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say this as well. If my shrimp molts they both stay hidden for a couple days.
Interesting. More reason to give them a week or so before I go rummaging around in the sand then.

Assuming they emerge in a few days and all is well, should I remove or put that rock all the way on to the glass? Make them find a new place to live?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming they emerge in a few days and all is well, should I remove or put that rock all the way on to the glass? Make them find a new place to live?

you could glue some rock rubble “legs” to the bottom to create a table. Then burry the legs in the sand so they can still dig under it without risk of it collapsing. It will still look the same to you though.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could glue some rock rubble “legs” to the bottom to create a table. Then burry the legs in the sand so they can still dig under it without risk of it collapsing. It will still look the same to you though.
And that's why this forum is awesome.

BTW, they decided to show up just a minute ago. Just sleeping in I guess.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back