Pistol shrimp in rocks

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 2 months I have thought that my pistol shrimp was dead, today i finally saw him. He was in my rock right next to my blasto. It is most likely the hole in the rock leads to the sand. I am not sure how it survived this long without getting food. Does everyone feed there pistol shrimp and should I start feeding mine. Thanks

163BA2B4-FAFF-4E31-B490-C9201D846706.jpeg

Luke’s reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one a long time ago and never saw him, the only time I knew he was alive was during the evening when i kept hearing his pincers pop. Im sure he has been eating leftovers if he is still alive, could have also been hiding after molting.

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have one a long time ago and never saw him, the only time I knew he was alive was during the evening when i kept hearing his pincers pop. Im sure he has been eating leftovers if he is still alive, could have also been hiding after molting.

the day after I let him in the tank he vanished

Luke’s reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the day after I let him in the tank he vanished
Yeah they are awesome at hiding, the only way I eventually found out where it had made its home was when I added a watchman goby who paired up with it and was constantly on watch at the hide out entrance lol

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my fish frozen food in the evenings and always give a little squirt into the shrimp cave. He even comes out and waits for it now. Does he need to be target fed? No idea, but I enjoy the interaction and I've had him close to a year now.

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my fish frozen food in the evenings and always give a little squirt into the shrimp cave. He even comes out and waits for it now. Does he need to be target fed? No idea, but I enjoy the interaction and I've had him close to a year now.
he us very shy I’ll have to see if he will get used to me

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he us very shy I’ll have to see if he will get used to me

Is your pistol shrimp the type that can pair with a goby? I don't think I'd see much of my shrimp without his goby guardians. He always keeps a goby within antenna range if he's not deep in the cave.

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your pistol shrimp the type that can pair with a goby? I don't think I'd see much of my shrimp without his goby guardians. He always keeps a goby within antenna range if he's not deep in the cave.
Yes he is but there is no goby

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he is but there is no goby

If you want to have a chance to observe your guy a bit more you might try after lights out using a red light. My guy can get very brave after dark when the gobies go to bed and will explore much further than I would ever have expected!

OP
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to have a chance to observe your guy a bit more you might try after lights out using a red light. My guy can get very brave after dark when the gobies go to bed and will explore much further than I would ever have expected!
Great I will definitely do that

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back