Pistol Shrimp owners

Flytekk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow Watchman Goby and i would like to pair him with a Pistol Shrimp.

Just wondering how loud is the click/pop form pistol shrimp. Also how often does the sound occur? Every 5 minutes? Maybe once a night. Twice a week?

Lastly which pistol stays smallest and is most peaceful. Thanks.

capt85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tiger pistol and have heard it maybe 30I times in 8 months. It has never been a problem with mine and when they team up it is really cool.

pandarider007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think I have a tiger. I hear him pop maybe two to three times a night or when something get near his hole, but it is not that loud. I also had a watchman but they didnt team up. He will also move around and grab small corals if they are close to his hole.

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol that paired right away with my yellow watchman and it's a great stight to see. They don't pop that much and it's not really that loud. But do keep in mind, that pistol shrimp works from lights on to lights off, 7 days a week, pushing your sand all over. It's super cool to watch him work but take into account if you have any corolla on your sand bed. He will cover them up more days than not. They really are busy little shrimp!

FauxinSiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think smallest and best looking is the Randall's/ candy cane pistol shrimp

I've had mine for a while now.. I've heard him pop while a while at night not that loud just that my tank is literally
Right next to my bed lol

His currently paired up with a pink bar goby

ARD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a semi bare bottom tank 175 gal. It does have coral rubble on the bottom however. Would a Pistol Shrimp survive w/o sand?

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol in a little 5g nano bare bottom, he pops once in a while each day just so I know hes alive LOL

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they can survive without sand. But they won't be happy... Just give them some coral rubble to work with as well.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiger pistols get big. They sound like a quarter tapping on the glass. Really not all that loud. Mine would click maybe 4-5 times a night. Candy pistols stay small.

redemer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats really cool is having two gobies and two tiger pistols working together at the same time, I have a picture of my randalls goby working with two tiger pistol shrimp but the yellow watchmen was guarding another part of the den. they do not snap but maybe a couple times a day. check it out

DSC_0467.jpg

drunkenmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that a Candy stripe pistol will have more of a problem without sand then a tiger. The candy practically runs in place and kicks the sand backwards mostly to move it. The Tiger is more of a bulldozer pushing sand around.

lpslover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tiger pistol and yellow watchman for a while. They are awesome and I was sad to see mine go. I would still have them, but I had to choose between a very nice brain coral that had to be on the sand bed and the sand dumping shrimp. I bought the coral and sold the shrimp and his attendant goby. The clicking isn't a constant issue and you probably won't hear it outside of the room. Your pumps probably make more noise. The bigger issues are:

1) Pistol shrimp need a substantial sand bed 1"+ deep to be happy. Not only must you provide said sand bed, but realize that they will tirelessly rearrange every inch of it. They also like small rubble pieces to shim up tunnel walls.
2) Because of the endless remodeling the shrimp will do you need to ensure that your rock work is secure and resting on the tank floor, otherwise the shrimp can undermine the sand it is resting on and you will have an avalanche of rock work and corals. A friend lost a beautiful montipora in such an incident.
3) Also the shrimp don't care what they throw the excavated sand on, so put all corals or other non mobile invertebrates 6+ inches up from the sand bed. Otherwise they are likely to get dumped on. For the same reason I also wouldn't recommend very fine sand beds. Fine sand could get carried around the tank by the water flow once tossed. This would be why I had to sell mine.
4) Be aware that pistol shrimp are predatory. They will eat any reef janitors that live in or on the sand bed. This creates a possible issue with detritus and nutrient control. Be prepared to deal with it through manual vacuuming, a good filter and skimmer and a refugium/algae scrubber/carbon dosing.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a bullseye pistol shrimp can sound like the tank cracked. it is loud but they don't live with gobies. they are out in the open more.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a candy stripe with my yasha goby. Didn’t see it fir the first 2 weeks. Actually just saw it today since the first time I put it in!!
They stay pretty small. I think I might have heard it once in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• D0650B6E-F270-4509-B283-D6B62730632C.jpeg
    D0650B6E-F270-4509-B283-D6B62730632C.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 54

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can sometimes hear my tiger snap from the other room but I still wouldn't call it excessively loud. Funny thing that I always know it's 10:30pm because he'll give a nice snap as soon as the moonlights go off. He used to snap a lot more often when I first got him but I guess he's a bit more comfortable with his tankmates than he used to be. Paired up immediately with his two yellow watchman gobies.

As far as being peaceful, anytime he mistakenly grabs a snail or hermit crab as potential building materials he promptly tosses them back out of his cave, no harm done. One of my gobies likes to bring him nassarius snails, but again he always throws them back out (sometimes more than once because the goby is a little stubborn). My red-lined wrasse got scared the other day and tried to hide in his cave. Simply pushed her back out too.

Tigers are definitely larger shrimps and move a lot of sand. I'm not sure they sleep. Dig dig dig.

Krismur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a semi bare bottom tank 175 gal. It does have coral rubble on the bottom however. Would a Pistol Shrimp survive w/o sand?
No sand is cruel for a pistol shrimp since they r burrowing shrimp and need burrows to feel safe. They r nearly blind and need to feel safe. Watchman gobies live in burrows as well so sand should be provided for both goby and shrimp. Just because a shrimp can survive without sand doesn’t mean they r happy. I have two pistols and a watchman

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any guides on how many you can have? I'm putting together a 100 gallon and would like to have a couple of pair (shrimp/goby) just because I think it would increase the odds of seeing them more often....but I'll "make do" with just a single pair if it would be too stressful for them have "competition".

I'm planning for over one inch of CaribSea Special grade...with rocks on the bottom before adding the sand. Couple of foundation rocks and then build up from there.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back