Pistol Shrimp too quiet

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my YWG and Pistol shrimp together for about 3 months or more. But for some reason I haven't heard the Pistol shrimp popping sound it usually makes and I see the YWG come out and eat. This is the first time the shrimp has ever went silent. Where the Goby goes the shrimp is always on its hip. Been almost 2 days and not a single pop or peep from the shrimp. I'm praying its not dead because removing rockscape to fetch it would be a nightmare. Is this normal behavior for this shrimp or you think it's dead?

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah... Shrimp is about 2 inches. I recently added a six line wrasse on Monday which is about 1 inch and some change. Monday night into Tuesday morning popping stopped and hasn't popped since. Could the wrasse had killed it?... Hmmm.

prcardinal91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had my YWG and Pistol shrimp together for about 3 months or more. But for some reason I haven't heard the Pistol shrimp popping sound it usually makes and I see the YWG come out and eat. This is the first time the shrimp has ever went silent. Where the Goby goes the shrimp is always on its hip. Been almost 2 days and not a single pop or peep from the shrimp. I'm praying its not dead because removing rockscape to fetch it would be a nightmare. Is this normal behavior for this shrimp or you think it's dead?
I have a pistol shrimp and YWG combo in my tank as well. During the first few months in my tank, the pistol shrimp was much more vocal than he is currently. I haven't heard a pop in some time, but he is still bulldozing sand every day. Look for signs of freshly moved sand and try to put food where you think the burrow might be.

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp and YWG combo in my tank as well. During the first few months in my tank, the pistol shrimp was much more vocal than he is currently. I haven't heard a pop in some time, but he is still bulldozing sand every day. Look for signs of freshly moved sand and try to put food where you think the burrow might be.
That's what I've been looking for. Also, I've been watching my other scavengers for signs of death in the tank. Tested Ammonia to be sure and 0 Ammonia as of last night.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt a 1 inch sixline will kill a pistol shrimp thats its same size, if not larger. Sixlines have a reputation for sure, but they arent crustacean hunters and murders per se, like hawkfish can be. They prefer smaller meals they can squeeze between rocks or coral polyps to feast on. Most likely your pistol is just fine, hes just making his tunnel network.

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there also the possibility that during its bulldozing got stuck under a rock(s)? My rockscape seems to have dropped in height after a couple weeks or so of the shrimp being added. Hmmm....

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt a 1 inch sixline will kill a pistol shrimp thats its same size, if not larger. Sixlines have a reputation for sure, but they arent crustacean hunters and murders per se, like hawkfish can be. They prefer smaller meals they can squeeze between rocks or coral polyps to feast on. Most likely your pistol is just fine, hes just making his tunnel network.
True but in my head, if I watch things do or be a certain way for so long and out the blue just stop. I start thinking dead immediately. Probably a bad idea to do that.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there also the possibility that during its bulldozing got stuck under a rock(s)? My rockscape seems to have dropped in height after a couple weeks or so of the shrimp being added. Hmmm....
This is unfortunately absolutely possible. You should always have your rockwork all the way to the glass to prevent this. A cave in or collapse causes death in alot of tanks.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but in my head, if I watch things do or be a certain way for so long and out the blue just stop. I start thinking dead immediately. Probably a bad idea to do that.
Yes we all fall victim to this behavior. Myself included. Marine fish are far different than freshwater, and some can hide for weeks after we purchase them. Especially some of the smaller or more shy species, such as firefish gobies and other small blennies/ gobies.

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is unfortunately absolutely possible. You should always have your rockwork all the way to the glass to prevent this. A cave in or collapse causes death in alot of tanks.
At first i had the rockscape to the bottom because I wasn't planning on buying a Pistol shrimp. So I lifted it on top of the sand to change the look. Then I thought, well I have a goby and would be cool to see them bond together. Bad decision making on my part for sure.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also might hide for a little while molting, but I have never had one so don’t know directly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back