Pithos crab releasing larvae

  • Thread starter Thread starter yOyOYoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

yOyOYoo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 10, 2025
Messages
137
Reaction score
55
Location
Brea, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I witnessed one of my pithos crabs releasing hundreds of larvae. She was pumping her belly like an accordion for a while and all these little white swimmers swarmed everywhere. It was quite an amazing sight to see. Unfortunately my iPhone couldn’t capture the best video.

I’ve read that it’s unlikely for any of these larvae to survive. I sucked some up with a baster and put them into an area of the sump with live rock and low flow.


 
Crazy I read this about an hour ago, and when I came home and looking at my aquarium, one of the Emerald crabs was launching a bunch of what look likeeggs up into the water column
 
I don’t know if it had anything to do with the fact that I had just turned on feeding mode and the pumps were running very low
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new