Placement of Reef Aquarium

herlin518

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I am new to Reef Aquariums. Actually, I am new to aquariums as a whole. So I am taking my time, doing lots of reading and research. I have a couple of other threads on this fantastic forum.

The question this time is on where to place my aquarium. I am converting a formal living room, to my reading/relaxing room. And my Reef Aquarium will be in this room. The wall I want to place the aquarium has a vent on it. It is at floor level. Can that cause problems with my aquarium? I plan on using a sump and it will be in the cabinet. So depending on the actual placement of the aquarium, this vent could be right behind the sump.

Thanks,

Herb

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't place it over a vent, not only will you have issues with heat but you'll also create rust issues in the vent itself.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a supply or return? It kind of depends on your house. If that's really the location you desire you could look at closing off that vent and relocating it. Just depends on if it's fed from above or below and if you can access the ductwork in either an attic or unfinished basement. More info on where the room is in the house and if you have a basement below the room, how old the house is..

OP
OP
H

herlin518

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking Bry. The vent is a wall vent. The room also has two floor vents. And that part of the house is over the basement. The house is not that old, 1993.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking Bry. The vent is a wall vent. The room also has two floor vents. And that part of the house is over the basement. The house is not that old, 1993.

If the vent is on the wall (( and the others are on the floor { most likely by windows } )) it could very well be a "cold air" return vent. Not something you would want to cover up, and for sure not something you would want right next to a sump and splashing saltwater.

One way to tell what type it is --- when the heat is on (( and from what my family up in MN has stated about today I am sure it is on a lot )), hold some tissue paper up to it --- if it is sucked to the vent, it is a return.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the basement is unfinished you should be able to see the ductwork feeding the grills. It may or may not be an easy fix to relocate. Just depends on how it's routed.

I would definitely not cover it up unless you can relocate it.

OP
OP
H

herlin518

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just place the aquarium on a different wall. I wanted that wall because I was going to setup a couple of chairs under the window. Those would be my reading/relaxing spot. Then the aquarium would be in front of me. Guess I will need to figure something else out. Thanks for the input folks.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back