Placement of Tank Intake/Outlet for 'Optimized' Filtration? Does it Matter?

Lovergasoline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank isn't a reef tank, it's a 37 gallon tall housing a single Red Ear Slider Turtle. It's a barren tank except for the turtle and the pre-filter sponge over the intake tube strainer ... no plants, no decorations, no air pump or bubbler.
My filter died (Rena/Filstar XP3) so I got a replacement (Oase Biomaster Thermo 600) and they have different tubing designs. In my previous setup I had the outlet nozzle (no spraybar) positioned at one top corner with flow directed towards the opposite bottom corner where the intake was positioned: the were about 36" from each other. The thinking behind that was to hopefully have the flow moving through as much water as possible to keep things moving a little bit. To accomplish this the intake/output tubing is routed from opposite sides of my built-in aquarium cabinet, through holes in the cabinet top and up opposite side of the aquarium.

However, I see most tanks have the intake/output tubing routed parallel and next to each other and mounted next two each other on the tank (sometimes with sprayer, sometimes with nozzle). It seems to me that this setup would provide less water movement and circulation? In my tank, the distance between the intake/output in this latter setup would be approx. 17" or half the 36" of my previous setup.

Does the position of intake relative to output a parameter that matters? Or is it purely in the realm of aesthetic and practical matters of tube routing, hardware and fitting available, space, etc.?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks are not closed system filters so we have intake and returns at the top to avoid draining the tank by siphon into the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back