placing zoas in close proximity

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in this old RC thread about z/p growth that when different colonies or frags are placed closer together, it encourages faster growth because they can sense the threat and feel the need to take up as much real estate as possible. Is this just a myth?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is an interesting theory.

I put together a pink yuma mushroom and two types of zoas. The mushroom immediately began to move, leave behind a baby, and now it is splitting. The mushroom is moving, trying to smother the zoas.

OP
OP
xxbrianxx

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, that sounds pretty cool. So what did it result in? I think the theory is pretty interesting too...the explanation makes sense but I've also read that placing certain corals together can actually inhibit growth...

zoodood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have doubts with this theory...the nature of many living organisms rejects procreation during times of stress, regardless, I don't believe that the corals are fighting...I think it has to do with creating a physical bridge for zooxanthelae to travel from one polyp to another since they don't have the benefit of sharing the coenenchyme(connective base)...I feel that zoanthids already show a strength in numbers mentality so they are friendly to their own kind...And, I never see them close up when they touch each other...unfortunately the same cannot always be said when they touch a different variety of coral such as a yuma

OP
OP
xxbrianxx

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have doubts with this theory...the nature of many living organisms rejects procreation during times of stress, regardless, I don't believe that the corals are fighting...I think it has to do with creating a physical bridge for zooxanthelae to travel from one polyp to another since they don't have the benefit of sharing the coenenchyme(connective base)...I feel that zoanthids already show a strength in numbers mentality so they are friendly to their own kind...And, I never see them close up when they touch each other...unfortunately the same cannot always be said when they touch a different variety of coral such as a yuma

But what about when one lifts weights? You're stressing the body, but given the proper nutrition your body becomes stronger in the end. So maybe if your zoas have proper nutrition/tank parameters in times of stress, they end up growing faster? Just a thought lol, I've never really paid attention to this until I read it recently. Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any other theories/input?

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what about when one lifts weights? You're stressing the body, but given the proper nutrition your body becomes stronger in the end. So maybe if your zoas have proper nutrition/tank parameters in times of stress, they end up growing faster? Just a thought lol, I've never really paid attention to this until I read it recently. Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any other theories/input?

So now lifting weights is the same as procreation? Haha Interesting theory but all of this just seems like theories without a shred of evidence

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al I can contribute os everytime I frag a rasta it sprouts a baby in no time, same with my nightmares. It's better for me to frag my nightmare's often cause it seems I get a better growth rate on them.

OP
OP
xxbrianxx

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now lifting weights is the same as procreation? Haha Interesting theory but all of this just seems like theories without a shred of evidence

lol missed that. But I guess it would be the logical equivalent of asexual reproduction or just growth in general right? And yea...but I just wanted to see if anyone else is noticing that trend. And maybe it'd spark enough interest for someone to actually conduct an experiment.

kershak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that the topic is very interesting because I use that myth and realy works, but the colonies should be placed at an angle of 45 degrees so that the gravyty help them grow quickly, they must be in indirect light for when seeking direct light to play in search of light and this is natural in any photosynthetic organism what depends on the light to live, Croesus was forced to feed and reproduce.they are like chrismas lights extentions one bulb cord bulb.so that way is more easy to fragem because they are hanging from the mother colonie:tongue:

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that the topic is very interesting because I use that myth and realy works, but the colonies should be placed at an angle of 45 degrees so that the gravyty help them grow quickly, they must be in indirect light for when seeking direct light to play in search of light and this is natural in any photosynthetic organism what depends on the light to live, Croesus was forced to feed and reproduce.they are like chrismas lights extentions one bulb cord bulb.so that way is more easy to fragem because they are hanging from the mother colonie:tongue:

The ability of a zoanthid to stretch in search for a light source is not an indication of good health. Many zoas will simply resign to unsupportive conditions, wither, and die.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Al I can contribute os everytime I frag a rasta it sprouts a baby in no time, same with my nightmares. It's better for me to frag my nightmare's often cause it seems I get a better growth rate on them.

How long are your rastas and nightmares allowed to heal before fragging again? Cutting a zoanthid (even if only the mat) is very stressful to the organism, reducing immunity and providing a route for infection.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in this old RC thread about z/p growth that when different colonies or frags are placed closer together, it encourages faster growth because they can sense the threat and feel the need to take up as much real estate as possible. Is this just a myth?

I've never witnessed competition as a catalyst for growth. Im torn: on one hand zoanthid colonies that are in close proximity could protect each other from irritants vis a vis, safety in numbers. On the other hand, infections and pests may spread more quickly and/or undetected in such a scenario.

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are your rastas and nightmares allowed to heal before fragging again? Cutting a zoanthid (even if only the mat) is very stressful to the organism, reducing immunity and providing a route for infection.
Nightmares grow slower for me so maybee every other month I take a few, Rastas grow fast for me and after fragging em they are happy and open normally within 24hrs. I would, and have taken more polyps from the mother within a week. I do have em growing at an angle like talked about. It varies how often I frag them because I cut them as folks request(local reefers) a frag.

f6d28930.jpg

OP
OP
xxbrianxx

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought they grew upwards from being placed at an angle. lol did I miss something?

OP
OP
xxbrianxx

xxbrianxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm interesting...it's weird though because I see people gluing several different types of zoanthids to the same rock...basically touching. And most people's frag racks also place different z/p's relatively close together. Lol maybe this is why so many people have randomly melting zoas?

"Zoanthid colonies can compete with each other (allelopathically and for space). If one colonies is not doing well, while all other are, competition might be the problem. It is not recommended to place Zoanthid colonies of different sized polyps, morphs, near each other in the same system. "

A lot of the posts I've read about infections start with just one zoa colony while all of the others seem perfectly fine. And maybe this opens the door for infection, while a normally healthy colony would not have been susceptible.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive also been told/heard that pocking the base of the zoa with a pin needle can cause them to create a baby. i ahve nevre tried this. i just feed mine and they grow lol

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed with mine that I have some that will grow a little taller and then shade out the ones below them. I do have zoas that are intermingled with each other.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back