placing zoas in close proximity

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild collected zoanthids are often brought in on mixed rocks. This would indicate that different morphs and subspecies have no trouble growing in close proximity in the wild.

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild collected zoanthids are often brought in on mixed rocks. This would indicate that different morphs and subspecies have no trouble growing in close proximity in the wild.

I agree, however if one of the zoas decides it wants to be dominant it will overgrow and wipe out the other zoas. Trust me, it has happened, and it is usually the zoa/paly you don't want that kills the one you want.

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifting weights, Hmmmm. Well ,my Emeralds on Fire are already benching 300 so I better make them back off a little, lol.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fact that most of us are missing is that mainly all z/p in the hobby fall under 2 different families Sphenodpidae and Zoanthidaea both of which are within the Zoantharia order, palythoa genus are of the Sphenopidae family and Zoanthus genus of the Zoanthidea. Now I'm not positive on this but there is only around 4 Palythoa species identified and 3-4 zoanthus species, there might be more but not many more. It is therefore very likely that most of us have only 2-4 species of the same zoa in the tank. So my point is as long as those from the same family are in close proximity or in contact with each other there will be no effect whatsoever, weather it be they red, gold, purple or blue it doesn't change the fact that they are the same species. For example what we call PPE,GPE,RPE, etc actually are all Z.gigantus... so there would be no consequence if these are placed in close proximity or even in contact, on the contrary theoretically they should be able to reproduce (very unlikely in captivity). However I think competition could arise in the case that different species, are the ones in close proximity. Species and designer names are in no way related at all.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have doubts with this theory...the nature of many living organisms rejects procreation during times of stress, regardless, I don't believe that the corals are fighting...I think it has to do with creating a physical bridge for zooxanthelae to travel from one polyp to another since they don't have the benefit of sharing the coenenchyme(connective base)...I feel that zoanthids already show a strength in numbers mentality so they are friendly to their own kind...And, I never see them close up when they touch each other...unfortunately the same cannot always be said when they touch a different variety of coral such as a yuma

But what about when one lifts weights? You're stressing the body, but given the proper nutrition your body becomes stronger in the end. So maybe if your zoas have proper nutrition/tank parameters in times of stress, they end up growing faster? Just a thought lol, I've never really paid attention to this until I read it recently. Has anyone else experienced this? Or have any other theories/input?

Stress also has the characteristic of inducing stress hormones which in turn increase the concentration of glucose available to cells therefore more energy is available for metabolic processes... I'm not sure how this would apply to zoanthid physiology hehe but... just sharing input :)

kershak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifting weights, Hmmmm. Well ,my Emeralds on Fire are already benching 300 so I better make them back off a little, lol.

hey bro im feeding mine whit creatine and driping kalk w mega mass 2000 baaaaajajajajaja....just joking dont make doping test to my tank please,jose canseco give me the dose lololol

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back