Planet Aquariums Crystaline 85 gallon build

Gjones138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good store I have had good success with there fish. Don is a really good guy! I would call around Apex is a small shop but the tank prices are always really good fish and coral are just ok. Exotic Aquatics isn't a bad place to get a quote from either and they can hold the tank for you. DNA is usually priced a little higher but they have a massive selection of tanks and probably have the exact tank you are looking for on the floor right now. Good luck with your purchase you'll like it! I use to own one I currently have the Crystalline 105 gallon with the ghost overflow. I have a custom tank being made by PA for my new house.
Thanks! Too funny, those are the places I’ve received quotes. DNA was the highest, but you’re right they had what I wanted. Exotic (closest to me) was second highest and Apex and Saltwater are close. It will depend on overall cost and customer service - with that Don is awesome.

What powerheads did y’all select for the build?

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Saltwater Paradise and Apex are good choices. As far as the powerheads, I bought a 2016 Apex with the WAV powerheads. Love it because you can program it to do different things throughout the day. However it is really powerful. Need to dial it down a bit.

Thanks! Too funny, those are the places I’ve received quotes. DNA was the highest, but you’re right they had what I wanted. Exotic (closest to me) was second highest and Apex and Saltwater are close. It will depend on overall cost and customer service - with that Don is awesome.

Gjones138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Saltwater Paradise and Apex are good choices. As far as the powerheads, I bought a 2016 Apex with the WAV powerheads. Love it because you can program it to do different things throughout the day. However it is really powerful. Need to dial it down a bit.
Nice set up ... I bet it does cause quite the storm!

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only because I already had them from a tank I bought previously I used and still use MP40's. They are crazy strong and stay on low power lol.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd mention some of those places, like DNA, do 10% off if you are a member of dfwmas. DNA does pretty much everything except MAP stuff like apex controllers etc. Exotic aquatics l8sts the same discount. Saltwater paradise is only livestock.
Just my purchases of salt each year makes up the membership fee..

Gjones138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! You're right, but most tanks are not included as they are 'MAP' priced. I've already asked. DNA was by the far the highest priced of all places I checked.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s salty....Apex is hooked up...rock from Billy’s reef (plus a few live rocks from LFS). Sump is looking good too. ATK hooked up and working great. First part of my PMUP auto water change system is up and running too. Now just waiting on the tank to be ready for it’s first fish.

Any comments (especially on the aquascape) are welcome.

F0C557D7-86DC-42C4-A40B-2BCFB6938619.jpeg

B865665D-82F2-41C5-BB54-F5500ED12E95.jpeg

Gjones138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! How much rock did you go with?

Mine deal is signed and sealed. Waiting for the stand to be built and delivered. I'm stoked!!

Gjones138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the look. Ordered 60 pounds today for mine. Have about 30 more in my other tanks that I’ll use to seed the dry rock.

And I went with white ... so I’m a copycat! Lol. We have wood floors but some white built-ins, so it should work. The other colors might have clashed too much. I’m excited ... maybe I should start a build thread as well.

OP
OP
LoneStarReef

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess it is time for a way overdue update to my build thread. Tank is doing great. Added a refugium and two fish: Royal Gramma and a Flame Angel named “Aubie” after Auburn’s mascot (my son named him....I’m an Auburn grad). The refugium is going great. Found a $35 clip on grow light from Amazon that uses two bulbs. Love it so far and he Chaeto is growing like crazy. Runs on opposite light cycle from main lights. And I still really like the Apex ATK. Works great and haven’t had many issues. I am still tweaking the auto water change with two PMUP’s. I don’t trust it enough yet to let it be fully automated but all I have to do is push a few buttons and I can do a 5 gallon (weekly) water change. Feel free to ask questions or comment.

7F19F4AF-BCCC-41D7-BE33-F29AD5A4E692.jpeg

1BBF44C8-51CD-4529-9E8A-A4A74F5BD627.jpeg

53C6B169-1E6A-4024-9718-1788047184BD.jpeg

26643293-68BF-47B3-8F94-E0AD0186F67C.jpeg

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed one significant difference in the tank stand from yours and mine your tank sits on the stand and it looks like the stand has a boarder for the tank to fit in but mine doesn't have that boarder/trim

Gjones138

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the PA DFW club! LonestarReef sold me on getting a PA tank, so I got one as well! The stand difference is an option, I have the same as LSR. Love this tank ... running about 2 months now.

DD695C67-81A3-4C37-90EF-A2222E881C65.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back