Planning 180 gallon mixed reef

feeegus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am wanting to plan fish coral and inverts for my 180 gallon tank which is arriving next month.

I was thinking something along the lines of 30 odd fish with snails and a mixture of euphillia corals, meaty lps and sps. This may be way off, as I have not kept large tanks before.

I will take this slow and qt, I have had tanks before and successfully kept sps but never on such a large scale.

How do these fish sound to you? I would introduce the tangs last all together after a 2 months quarantine. Any advice is really welcome, specifically.

The fish with a * I already own from my old tank.

Tangs:

Orange Shoulder Tang

Blue Tang

Powder Blue Tang

Powder Brown Tang

Clown Tang

Atlantic Blue Tang

Desjardini Sailfin Tang

Purple Tang

Wrasse:

Melenarus Wrasse *

Ornate Leopard Wrasse *

Choati Leopard Wrasse *

Blue star Leopard Wrasse

Potters Leopard Wrasse

Feminius Wrasse

Lennardi Wrasse

Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse

Angels:

Regal Angel

Multibar Angel

Bicolor Angel *

Other:

2 Chromis *

2 Clownfish *

Lawnmower Blenny *

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the tang expert, but I only have two (Sailfin and Naso) in my 160-gallon. The Sailfin is maybe 3.5” and the Naso a bit smaller at 2”. I’ve heard that Purple tangs can be vindictive a**hats, so I’d ask someone knowledgeable about tang compatibility.

Most of your wrasses will want a nice substrate bed (though you probably already know that). The Melanarus may eventually snack on inverts.

I might be more inclined to go with some dwarf angels (Flame, Flameback, Coral Beauty, etc.) instead of the larger ones (mainly due to your lengthy tang list).

Back