Planning a 50g Low Boy Split for Display + Frag, Good Idea?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Harry g
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Harry g

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2025
Messages
283
Reaction score
71
Location
Millstadt il
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of upgrading from my 20g to a 50g low boy and want to try having a mixed reef + frag setup in the same tank. My idea:
• Split the 50g in half with a divider that’s slightly shorter than the tank so both sides share water.
• Display/sand side: everything I have in my 20g, roughly:
• Cleanup crew: 4 margarita, 4 Nassarius, 4 Astrea, 2 Trochus
• Fish: 1 black clown, 1 black storm clown, bangai cardinal, 1 yasha goby
• Corals: 1 GSP, 1 montipora frag, 1 RBTA, 1 candy cane (kryptonite), 1 war coral, variety of zoas, 1 toadstool, 1 Kenya tree, 1 RFA, 1 Octospawn
• 15 lbs live rock, 20 lbs live sand (planning to add a bit more)
• Frag side: bare-bottom frag racks for mushrooms and zoanthids. My thinking is the sand side will act like a “mini-sump” for the frag side, but look nicer.

Questions:
1. Is this a reasonable idea, or will it create problems?
2. Should I add a real sump anyway?
3. Would it be better to just run a dedicated frag tank instead?

Thanks for any advice.
 
Also, what would be a good idea to start adding to my 20gallon right now so upgrading to a bigger tank in the future is cheaper? I’m thinking another ai prime and another ai Nero 3.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new