Planning a NUVO 25 Lagoon: Are small fairy or flasher wrasses acceptable?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing the obligatory research for a new 25 lagoon tank that I'm planning. I hadn't considered a fairy or flasher wrasse because I've always heard their smallest acceptable tanks ranged from 40-90 gallons.

However, I've seen quite a few people keeping these fish 25-29 gallon aquariums. I've even seen pretty well-respected members of this forum advocate for keeping them in 25 gallon tanks. I'd like to hear more from you guys about your opinions of these fish based on reputation and experience. If you have a wrasse (other than the possum wrasse) I'd love to hear about the size of your tank and your experience with the fish. Bonus points if you show us pictures of your fish friend!

I'd love to keep a fish from one of those genus' but not at the expense of its happiness and/or health.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bible on fish is Scott Michael’s book Marine Fishes. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy.
When you say flasher wrasse I think of the genus Paracheilinus which only requires a 20 gallon.
I’ve kept a handful of wrasses over the years, not at the same time, in my 90. Recently I bought a new one that is beautiful. I see a few vendors carrying these currently. Someone had success collecting.
FF004EF8-FEC0-4466-ADF5-1554796DFB28.jpeg

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bible on fish is Scott Michael’s book Marine Fishes. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy.
When you say flasher wrasse I think of the genus Paracheilinus which only requires a 20 gallon.
I’ve kept a handful of wrasses over the years, not at the same time, in my 90. Recently I bought a new one that is beautiful. I see a few vendors carrying these currently. Someone had success collecting.
FF004EF8-FEC0-4466-ADF5-1554796DFB28.jpeg

Thanks for the reply and the information! And yeah that’s exactly what I was talking about. These two species specifically:

B3F82E42-833B-42CE-BE24-21E3E8D6C6E2.jpeg

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both awesome. Just make sure you have a screen top. Every wrasse has eventually jumped out of my tank. They have a knack for finding the smallest opening.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put them in anything under 4’ in length, unless it’s a large cube. I have kept many wrasses over the years and they definitely appreciate the space to dart and ‘flash’ around.
Do you not like Possum wrasses?
- Experience with a number of Anampses, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Wetmorella, and Pseudocheilinops genus wrasses.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a carpenter flasher and ruby head fairy in a 90g. I have to get rid of one because the flasher is constantly bulled by the fairy. The fairy wrasse may have too much personality for my 90g.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put them in anything under 4’ in length, unless it’s a large cube. I have kept many wrasses over the years and they definitely appreciate the space to dart and ‘flash’ around.
Do you not like Possum wrasses?
- Experience with a number of Anampses, Cirrhilabrus, Paracheilinus, Wetmorella, and Pseudocheilinops genus wrasses.

Yeah I just think the possum wrasse is unattractive but I might be in the minority there. Thank you for your input though that was really helpful!

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow Assessor in the same tank as the wrasse. The assessor is even more shy than the wrasse. It likes to come out in the open in the morning when the lights are off. When the lights are on it hides in the back of the tank.
It’s a beautiful fish, just very shy.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellow Assessor in the same tank as the wrasse. The assessor is even more shy than the wrasse. It likes to come out in the open in the morning when the lights are off. When the lights are on it hides in the back of the tank.
It’s a beautiful fish, just very shy.

Oh gotcha! Online it said they weren’t super shy after the acclimation period

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really favor a cave or ledge to float under. As long as you can make a "darkened" overhang, they spend a lot of time hanging out, often upside down. Your trade off is this: they make a poor dither fish, but a consistently visible fish if you find the right spot.

Last edited:

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research the pink-streaked. Beautiful coloration (especially if you like bluer lights, but pretty regardless), inquisitive. Mine isn't super shy and is doing well in a 32 gal biocube. And a good eater of small pests like flatworms.

ETA: I had a McKoskers in a 4 ft 75 gal tank (I upgraded to 180 and he lives there now). He had plenty of room in the 75 gal, but he did use at least 3 feet of it to swim. I wouldn't even consider putting one in a my Biocube.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back