Planning a ULM-style tank in the 40-gallon range. Looking for advice or build guides!

Shmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I had a 40 breeder for a couple of years but it didn't join me on the cross-country move I just made. I watched some of the BRS ULM tank trial videos and I'm interested in getting a nice new setup.

My wife doesn't want anything ugly like wires and water lines; I want something that is easy to maintain.

I'm currently in the budgetary stage but plan to set it up in the spring so that it'll be pretty by next winter.

Here are the basics that I'm trying to set up:
  • Red Sea Max E170 is about the right volume for my life right now, more or less. It's certainly pretty and fits exactly in the space that I'd like to put it.
  • UV sterilisation is a big interest. As I understand it, a well-sized UV steriliser will massively reduce the negative effects of lax maintenance, as well as protect tank health when certain types of parasite enter the water column.
  • Auto water change and auto water topoff are hard requirements.
  • LPS or soft/LPS. No SPS at this time (Maybe for my next tank, but this is supposed to be low-maintenance)
  • Bare-bottom tank is also a hard requirement. No sand!
  • I am quite happy to use quick-start bacteria rather than buying used live rock. I've had my fun with vermetid snails and foot-long fireworms already.
Have any of you built this type of system? Any build threads that I should peruse, or even advice on specific coral?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off #WelcometoR2R

Low maintenance tanks are achievable. It is not something I would say you can do right off the bat. I would start slow . Auto water changes may wait until your numbers are stable and you get an idea of when a change needs to be done, no sense changing to early or late. Using quick start bacteria is fine if you cycle it right, but it is not a short cut.

Take your time, read up, ask questions and you’ll have a great tank.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t think of anyone specific with that kind of setup but I’m sure it’s around. Auto water changes are big right now with Apex and the DOS module.

OP
OP
Shmort

Shmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I appreciate the insight, especially the "be patient" part. I want to build my system so that it becomes simple to maintain, and I know that it won't be that simple on day 1.

Any specific advice I should look out for? Anyone added a UV to a Max-E170, for instance?

GregH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I appreciate the insight, especially the "be patient" part. I want to build my system so that it becomes simple to maintain, and I know that it won't be that simple on day 1.

Any specific advice I should look out for? Anyone added a UV to a Max-E170, for instance?
Did you ever get a reply to this question (Anyone added a UV to a Max-E170, for instance?)? I’m evaluating it, but don’t have optional sump to work with.

OP
OP
Shmort

Shmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I actually waited until the 200 was released, and I'm getting my plumbing sorted now. The advice my LFS gave me was basically "It's super easy" but as I've never done it before, I'm still a bit worried.

I would love to see pictures of a UV steriliser added to an E170.

NOHtorious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. I joined this site a few days ago and just read your original post. Aside from the "no sand" requirement, I have the same questions and requirements. I'm curious as to where you stand now as I am looking to learn how to build out RS e170. I have an old 20gal tank with a single clownfish in it and (with my wife's permission) I am looking to purchase e170. I will most likely setup as a FOWLR tank first and maintain for a year. If I have that kind of patience and the tank is running reasonably well, I'll jump in and add some corals.

Sabina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two videos on ULM could be helpful
SPS ULM

SOFT CORAL ULM

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back