Planning equipment for 30 gallon reef

123lac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some feedback and advice for planning my first reef tank, specifically the equipment I will need.

It will be a Cade Reef S2/N 500 which has the following specs:
  • 500x560x500 (LxWxH) / 19.7 x 22 x 19.7 inches
  • Capacity (Inhabitable): 115L / 30.3 gal
  • System Capacity (Total): 146L / 38.5 gal

I wouldn't say I'm trying to make this a budget build, but I'm also not able to spend $500 AUD on a single ecotech wave maker or DC return pump. So my overall approach with this build will be to save where I can and to keep things simple at least to start with.

I'll be using natural seawater as seems to be quite affordable where I live on the east coast of Australia.

I'd like to keep LPS and softies, I really like the look of Euphyllia and Scolymia corals.

Lighting: Radion XR15 Blue G6 with tank mount
Heating: Eheim Jager 150w x 2 (already have these in storage so would be a waste to buy titanium at this point)
Controller: Inkbird
Return pump: Sicce Syncra 2.0
Flow: Nero 3
Protein Skimmer: Octo Classic 110-s
ATO: The Cade comes with an internal gravity fed ATO
Lid: The Cade comes with a mesh lid
Rock & Sand: TBD, probably live sand, maybe some genuine live rock from the ocean in addition to dry rock
Test kits: Mostly salifert (salinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, phosphate, magnesium, PH)

Questions:
- Does the above list look sufficient?
- Do I actually need a protein skimmer? Considering leaving this purchase until later
- The Cade has plumbing for a reactor, but do I need one? If so, what type should I get?
- Will one wavemaker be enough for a cube of this size?

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, nice choices, all good quality gear capable of supporting your goals.

No, you don’t need a skimmer but you’ve got the space so why not enjoy the benefits they provide. Same with the reactor, not absolutely necessary but since the Cade supports it with a nice manifold you’d be a mug to put your media in a bag. Both can be added down the track.

Nero 3 will be ok for your immediate goals, if you want to take it further into higher flow coral, you can always add another one.

Best of luck, hope it goes well for you.

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s worth springing for a digital refractometer like a Milwaukee. I don’t like using regular refractometers I find them to be a pain.

Salifert Titration tests always good for me I like Hanna as well.

I would plumb a reactor in because eventually you will probably run something either carbon, GFO or similar. Possibly not but most do at some point.
skimmer good for oxygenation as well some people say on smaller tanks not necessary but… I always have ran one on tanks from 15-180 gallon.

Real ocean water is good read on here about collecting it. Lots of different strategies to make sure you don’t get pollutants.

Everything else looks great lights and flow are smart so you can set those up

gravity feed ato is nice

Most of the equipment is a flavors thing you’ll do fine with most equipment that has good reviews

mortimersnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That skimmer is overkill for that tank. You might look at some of the smaller tunze options. Other than that, looks great. I wouldn't sweat a reactor to start. You can always add one later, but bags of carbon work great.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back