Planning first Saltwater Tank

Nicnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m planning on setting up a Nano Reeftank.

I want a 20 or 30 gallon cube aquarium.
I’m limited to that due to my only power source beeing Solar and I have no connection to the power grid.(heating)

That’s where my first question comes in, does anyone have an idea how I can insure there is Power for the fishtank even in winter when there in not a whole lot of electricity available from the sun? Would the Smartest thing be to just get a generator and something like one of those really big powerbanks with a built in converter?(only needed if the weather is **** for days in end)

What light would you advise me to use.
As of right now I think the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue would be good.

What test kits do I need? Salinity and so on.

What heater should I use?

Fish I would like are.

A pair of ocellaris + Anemone
1 Orchid dotty back
and some sort of shrimp + goby combination.

Do those work together?

What kind of filtration do I need?
Is a Protein skimmer needed? If so how to I put one in a Tank without a sump?

What should I use to get the current needed?

In terms of coral can I put any coral in a 20 gallon? Some seem to get really huge.

Some coral recommendations would be great.
I keep on reading and reading and the more I read the less I am sure of what coral I should put in the tank. Some say no sps for a beginners others say yeah Montis are very good for beginners -.-

Can I use a cheap Rodi Filter off Amazon that is like 100€ ( I’m from Spain btw) or should I get one of the good 300€ ones?

I want to do it right the first time and not kill everything because I did not think of something important.

Another thing is I read somewhere to put a native fish in the tank so it cycles faster ( the ocean is like 5 minutes from me ) is that a good idea?

Any information is appreciated.
If anyone want to know in order to give recommendations, the budget is 1000€-2000€ but I would like to stay on the lower side if possible.

Last edited:

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
A power supply is absolutely necessary for a reef tank. Ecotech and icecap have some backup power systems that can last long, but I would say a generator is better.
Kessil makes excellent lights. I have 5 myself.
Hannah test kits are very popular and easy to use. Although I test calcium with Red Sea.
A refractomoter is not expensive and are very reliable
Get whatever fish make you happy. But I can’t stand clownfish. Territorial biters.
I am a big fan of reef octopus skimmers. A HOB style is a great way to get rid of waste.
I use ecotech powerheads, but Nero makes slim ones for small tanks.
Water is the most important part of an aquarium. Buying a better RODI is always good.
Good luck

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back