AquaCave

gsjr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all, firstly thank you for the warm welcome to this amazing forum! It's helped me a long since starting my first saltwater aquarium in July of this year. Now I am planning my first coral purchase. It's definitely exciting but also I'm a little nervous as there's so much to take into account. So anyway I thought I would start a build thread to document my progress and so you all can advise as I go. To aid in advice, it may be helpful to know a few things about the tank first. My lighting is 2 T5's 24 watt white marine lights. I'm running a fluval 405 external filter and a tunze 9012 skimmer. My tank is quite deep so hopefully my lighting is ok. Anyone who has experience with T5's I would appreciate advice on that. Otherwise I am working on making a map of the corals I want and their placement in the tank and then I will post it. For now here is a current pic. if anyone has suggestions as to what corals you would recommend for me I would appreciate it.Thanks!!!
PXL_20211112_073341227._exported_321_1636724840577.jpg

BRS

blaxsun

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm not sure if you have access to a PAR meter (rent or borrow?), but this can help determine what your lighting levels are at various points on the rocks and will help narrow down which corals might be most suitable. Offhand, probably some softer corals like zoas, xenias and mushrooms on the lower rocks.

OP
G

gsjr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm not sure if you have access to a PAR meter (rent or borrow?), but this can help determine what your lighting levels are at various points on the rocks and will help narrow down which corals might be most suitable. Offhand, probably some softer corals like zoas, xenias and mushrooms on the lower rocks.
OK Thanks, I will try and get hold of a PAR meter.

OP
G

gsjr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'd also recommend some zoas, as well as ricordea, a duncan, and maybe a leather coral. :)

Your aquascape looks great! How many gallons is your tank?
Tank is 50 gallons. I used caribsea life rock and live sand...aquascaping was super fun! Got some diatoms still but I think they are slowly disappearing..

Top Shelf Aquatics

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Tank is 50 gallons. I used caribsea life rock and live sand...aquascaping was super fun! Got some diatoms still but I think they are slowly disappearing..
Yeah -- your tank looks really clear! My diatoms turned into green film algae, and then cyanobacteria, which I'm in the process of getting rid of now.

I'm excited to see some corals in your tank! :D

OP
G

gsjr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yeah -- your tank looks really clear! My diatoms turned into green film algae, and then cyanobacteria, which I'm in the process of getting rid of now.

I'm excited to see some corals in your tank! :D
I'm also excited but a little nervous too ...I think I will start with zoa's on the rock in front as it's isolated. A little zoa garden... definitely looking at the other ones you mentioned. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

AquaCave

Have you ever had a nano reef tank?

• I have one now (leave a photo in the thread)

Votes: 85 53.5%
  • Yes, but in the past

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • No and no plans to have one

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • No but I want to have one in the future

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.3%

Koral Kingdom