Plans for a 220g Fish Only

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So my 220g fish only tank is finally together and filled with water. The tank is 72" wide, 30" tall, and 24" from front to back (using the word deep there seemed like a bad idea...). I have a wet/dry setup that is 45" wide, 16" tall, and 12" from front to back. There are some rocks for hiding places, maybe 50 pounds so far. My fiancé wants to throw in a couple pieces of the fake coral rocks for some color. But other than that, there is a lot of space to swim and hide.

Here are my stocking plans so far, grouped by order of introduction:

Group A:
- Foxface x2
- Eel (Either a Zebra, Snowflake, or a Spotted Moray)

Group B:
- Porcupine Puffer (Smallest I can find)
- Dog Face Puffer (Smallest I can find)
- Volitan Lion (Smallest I can find)
- Pakistani Butterfly

Group C:
- Harlequin Tusk (Australian)
- Powder Brown or Blue Tang

Group D:
- Emperor Angel (Adult)
- One of either a Annularis, Passer, or Blue Girdle Angel (Juvenile)
- Purple Tang

My biggest fear with this list is that some of these fish get big. A 220g is a decent sized tank, but I worry that over a long period of time, this stocking list my be overcrowded in the tank. What are your thoughts?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Welcome to R2R!!

I do agree with your fear, you would be fine for awhile, but most of those get pretty large and with that amount of fish I think your concern is valid.

OP
OP
G

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that all of these would be fine in my tank forever, on their own. However, I'm just not sure how many of them I can keep without having to worry about overcrowding.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider these all IMO, as I don't think you have a bad fish list here but I do think you'll need to keep less than all of them:

- Foxface - Two are probably going to cause more problems than anything. You'll be better off with a single specimen.
- Eels - Zebra morays are the most peaceful of the ones listed so probably the best for the community you're building. That said, they get big. The other two can potentially eat fish. An adult snowflake moray can probably consume some of the other fish you're planning.
- Volitan lion - grain of salt here; i'm a floridian and just generally am not a fan of volitans lions. Personally, I think you're better off with one of the smaller species; a radiata or a dwarf for example, that are less likely to try consuming smaller fish. They can be hard to mix with fish like puffers too, who like to nibble on their spines.
- Pakistan butterfly - seems like the odd man out in this tank. They're sort of timid and might not be able to compete with the others you have selected.
- Angelfish - I'd only keep one in the tank. A mature emperor isn't typically going to tolerate an annularis or navarchus as it reaches maturity. Passers angels are also extremely boisterous and will probably try to stage a coup as it grows... and likely win. They are very tough.

OP
OP
G

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider these all IMO, as I don't think you have a bad fish list here but I do think you'll need to keep less than all of them:

- Foxface - Two are probably going to cause more problems than anything. You'll be better off with a single specimen.
- Eels - Zebra morays are the most peaceful of the ones listed so probably the best for the community you're building. That said, they get big. The other two can potentially eat fish. An adult snowflake moray can probably consume some of the other fish you're planning.
- Volitan lion - grain of salt here; i'm a floridian and just generally am not a fan of volitans lions. Personally, I think you're better off with one of the smaller species; a radiata or a dwarf for example, that are less likely to try consuming smaller fish. They can be hard to mix with fish like puffers too, who like to nibble on their spines.
- Pakistan butterfly - seems like the odd man out in this tank. They're sort of timid and might not be able to compete with the others you have selected.
- Angelfish - I'd only keep one in the tank. A mature emperor isn't typically going to tolerate an annularis or navarchus as it reaches maturity. Passers angels are also extremely boisterous and will probably try to stage a coup as it grows... and likely win. They are very tough.

That is very helpful, I appreciate it. I still have a lot of time to consider my options. I'd rather spend a lot of time planning and asking questions versus having some expensive fish die.

OP
OP
G

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to delete the Butterfly and one Angel from the list along with going with a dwarf lion instead, would adding a smaller species (8-10 inches fully grown) Trigger to the list work out? I love Triggers, but they seem to be tough to keep with just about everything...

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like a blue jaw trigger should leave the rest of the group alone; the lion is the biggest question mark. Even more so, triggers like to nip at lionfish. I still think you're going to have to trim down the list. Several feet(!) of moray eel and puffer fish are going to fill the tank fast...

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to never put a fish in a tank knowing it will out grow it and you will have to either get a larger tank or re home it to somewhere else.

Agreed, that logic is never as simple in real practice as it is in our minds. Trapping and removing fish isn't an exact science and there is no guarantee that you can find it a better home at the time it needs it. My LFS has had a 7-8 inch Blue Tang in it's holding tanks that is pretty beat up as it out grew it's tank and no one wants it right now. That poor fish will likely die there. Shame too as it seems like a Character.

OP
OP
G

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, that logic is never as simple in real practice as it is in our minds. Trapping and removing fish isn't an exact science and there is no guarantee that you can find it a better home at the time it needs it. My LFS has had a 7-8 inch Blue Tang in it's holding tanks that is pretty beat up as it out grew it's tank and no one wants it right now. That poor fish will likely die there. Shame too as it seems like a Character.

Same with on of my LFS. He has a HUGE blue tang and the damage it has on its face right now is sad. He's way too big for the 4 foot tank he is in.

OP
OP
G

Gruca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revised list:

Group A:
- Foxface x2 (Adding both when small and at the same time...been told both ways that it works and some that it doesn’t) If they do not get along, one will go in the other tank.

Group B:
- Porcupine Puffer (Smallest I can find)
- Eel (probably a snowflake)

Group C:
- Harlequin Tusk (Australian)
- Powder Brown or Blue Tang

Group D:
- One large angel
- Purple Tang

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back