Plate Coral (Fungia) and Cycloseris - What is the Difference?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what the difference was between a Plate Coral (Fungia) and Cycloseris?

They both look the same to me.

Are there any other Corals that look similar to these two as well?

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a fungia has a flat skeleton vs a cycloseris which has a dome shape skeleton

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also heard of Dioseris.

What is that?

Are there any other members of the Plate Family that I should know about?

I just started collecting Plate Corals so I am trying to learn as much as I can about them.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a fungia has a flat skeleton vs a cycloseris which has a dome shape skeleton

This is correct. Fungia is flat. Cycloseris has a dome at mouth area. If you view looking at coral horizontally you would see a dome at the mouth area of cycloseris. A fungia would look like a flat steak. Place a small rock under the center of the steak you have cycloseris.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is that?

I just started collecting Plate Corals so I am trying to learn as much as I can about them.

Are you referring to diaseris? If so its common name is fragile plate coral. It is a self fragging coral. I have two. One is purple with green rim and the other is teal and orange in a bleeding apple effect.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fungia has fine, triangular septal teeth and compact septa. Its coloration is light brown with pink mottling. TRUE Fungia are very rare in the hobby, though most circular, monostomatous Fungiids are misidentified as Fungia.
Fungia fungites | Aur Atoll, Marshall Islands | Credit: Raphael Forns
large.jpg

Cycloseris has thick, finely granulated septa. Its septal granulation gives the septa a smooth appearance when alive. Cycloseris are one of the most colorful of the Fungiids, often coming in neon greens and oranges. Most of the Fungiids in the hobby are Cycloseris.
Cycloseris sp.| Negros Oriental, Philippines | Credit: Ingo Rogalla
large (1).jpg

Cycloseris does not necessarily have an oral hump. There are flat Cycloseris, too. Fungia, although usually flat, can also grow to be dome-shaped.
Cycloseris sp. | Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands | Credit: D. Torres Pulliza
large (1).jpeg

What is that?

Diaseris is a synonym of Cycloseris, with its members being reclassified to Cycloseris in 2011. Ex-Diaseris species are characterized by being able to "self-frag."
Cycloseris distorta | Raja Ampat, Indonesia | Credit: Josy Lai
large (2).jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back