Plate Coral not Extending Tentacles

  • Thread starter Thread starter rong
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rong

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Abilene, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plate coral that hasn't extended tentacles for a week, I moved it up in the tank, but still not opening. Suggestions? Same time I have a chili coral that died, I have about 30 ppm nitrate most of the time, I do water changes and not able to get any lower. Do you think I need a bigger skimmer? The one I have isn't filling up very quickly, so I assume it is working fine.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Can you tell us your other water parameters? When did you get the plate? You say the skimmer is filling up quickly, how quickly is quickly? What size tank do you have and what kind of skimmer?
 
It isn't filling up quickly, it goes a week or so and I clean it and it isn't full. Other parameters: ph 7.8, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate 30, Ca 440, KH 5.3


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Chili corals are NPS(non photosynthetic) & very tough to keep in a reef so unless you were feeding multiple times a day it never had a chance, 30ppm nitrates doesn't help either. Do you have a sump or refugium? Adding macroalgae would help to export some of those nutrients. What type of lights do you have? Plate corals prefer to be on substrate not on rocks & IME do best in low light....what size tank do you have & what is your H2O change regimen?
 
I do have a sump with 4" dsb and chaeto that grows well. I take a softball sized piece of it out every couple weeks. How do I change KH? I'm not a fan of chemicals, is that the only way?


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
My tank is a 29 gal with a 12 gal sump. I change 4 gallons weekly. I feed twice a week.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new