Plate coral rising from the dead?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my plate coral last month. It eventually perished and all that was left was a skeleton so instead of tossing it I moved it to the back of the tank out of sight.
U3ain4Sl.jpg

Last week I was doing some cleaning in the tank when I noticed the plate coral had some growths on it. Anybody know what these things are?
Sorry for the dim image, lights were ramping down.
8laWmy1l.jpg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my plate coral last month. It eventually perished and all that was left was a skeleton so instead of tossing it I moved it to the back of the tank out of sight.
U3ain4Sl.jpg

Last week I was doing some cleaning in the tank when I noticed the plate coral had some growths on it. Anybody know what these things are?
Sorry for the dim image, lights were ramping down.
8laWmy1l.jpg

Typically the entire skeleton will grow a bunch of baby plates. :)

Timfish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congradulations! You're a grandparent. ;) Those are called "anthocauli", specialized structures that are capable of growing juvenile polyps as well as budding new anthocauli. It can take a year or more for the new polyp to grow to the point where it drops off the anthocauli. In most cases the anthocauli will start growing a new polyp with in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
jd371

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the entire skeleton will grow a bunch of baby plates. :)
I've heard of this and that's what crossed my mind when I first saw it.

Congradulations! You're a grandparent. ;) Those are called "anthocauli", specialized structures that are capable of growing juvenile polyps as well as budding new anthocauli. It can take a year or more for the new polyp to grow to the point where it drops off the anthocauli. In most cases the anthocauli will start growing a new polyp with in a couple weeks.
Thanks! I have since moved it from the back of the tank to a spot where I can keep an eye on it.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any pictures of this happening to a plate coral that actually has a bunch of babies on it? Would love to see it

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I get babies eventually. Lost all my plates in June when went on vacation.

Robert Kugler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, i have thrown mine away in the past, but i have 1 still in there that just died and another one that is half dead. I will not be removing them any more

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a club member with similar experience. Used the dead plate to clock a hole in rocks and babies reimerged from it.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some more pics with better light this time. The babies look a lot puffier than last time.
R8OSuZtl.jpg

63fmwFQl.jpg

Played around with the camera filters and a photo bomb from the Dragonet.
RYEigmDl.jpg

Yay!!! Thats a good sign. :)

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy has had this happen to his plate, it has now populated half the reef tanks in our region with home grown plates! Best of luck with yours
Here you go. Old pic of the mother plate. I would guess over 100 plates have spawned from this over the years.
967253408d07198aeab4fe9b8198f15e.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back