Plated Sponge Safe With Coral?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BiggDirty
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BiggDirty

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 23, 2023
Messages
44
Reaction score
20
Location
Calgary
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I was thinking of adding a blue plating sponge to my tank, I just wanted to get all your opinions on if they are safe with other coral? I’ve read that they can release toxins, and was wondering if I should stay away from them. I have a few lps frags in my tank and some softies at the moment.

Thanks!
 
A lot of people keep sponges and I never heard of anything negative. Not sure if you're aware, but so much of the livestock we keep can release toxins - corals, fish, urchins, algae's, worms, etc...
 
I have grown a fair amount of purple (blue) photosynthetic sponge in my systems without issue.
Ive had it in close proximity to Anemones, Mushrooms, Zoas, SPS, and LPS and have never noticed any signs of "warfare".

Its a large system with a ton of coral in it, little to no activated carbon or ozone. If you happen to notice any issues I'd think that running a small amount of activated carbon would help.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new