Platygyra maze brain coral issues

fish_collector

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2021
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
3,216
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening peoples, I took possession of a 5" maze brain coral about 3 months ago. I believe it to be a platygyra but I understand there are a few that resemble each other, but the exact ID probably isn't super important for the issue I'm having.

I have it in my SPS frag tank under about 150 par and a decent amount of flow. It is beginning to get filimentous algae growing from small holes in areas I would call it's mouths. I've been using sharp tweezers to pull it out hoping that the coral will outgrow the algae and close the holes up but I think the algae is winning. There was only 1 or 2 spots when I got it but now there are many more. I'm certain this coral is a wild collected specimen but I don't know anything else about it.

This is one of my favorite LPS corals and I'd like to grow it out to a huge colony.

This thread is worthless without pictures I know, the lights are off for the evening already so I'll post some tomorrow evening when I get home.

So with all that said is there anyone who grows this type of coral? Anything in particular I should be looking out for? I haven't seen sweepers of any dangerous length yet just short ones.
 
platygyra is a super slow growing coral, rather touchy about changing parameters. It takes a long time to acclimate to a new tank. Its not an easy coral and it can die quickly if its unhappy.

Cannot offer any advise without a picture though. Mine doesn't have 'holes' and I can't picture algae growing from the holes.
 
They are soft outside. Some fish like to rub against them. Probably to dislodge parasites. Either way, this can happen. They are certainly slow to recover but can thrive over years of care.
IMG_8807.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new