Please advise!! Persistent light brown algea?

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this algae, whatever it is, my last tank 45gbare bottom in Florida and this tank 90g shallow sand bed in Texas. It's slimy light brown and fluffy looking in the water. It gets air bubbles in it after several day but doesn't really get stringy. The longer I go without scrubbing it off the darker brown it will get. It grows on glass, rocks and sand. When I siphon it up it comes up like carpet bringing sand with it. Stirring daily only slows progression slightly. Even heavy scrubbing with stiff nylon brush only reduces it down to what looks like a tan velvet coating on the rocks. It's inside caves and in direct light. Best I can tell from pictures on the web it is brown cyano but it's hard to tell the difference between that and dinos.

I was feeding a homemade frozen food every three days. now I feed pellets daily and nori so I can make sure it's all eaten.

Water changes have been inconsistent but about every 6-8 weeks I siphon sand , scrub rocks and glass, clean out sump and change 30gallons of water. Algea returns within a week of water change and cleaning. I use an RODI which makes 0tds water that shows 0 PO4 on an API kit. Since cycle completed I have never had nitrates or phosphates that register on the API kit.

Skimmer is checked every other day and neck and cup cleaned if it has a thick buildup. RO NWB-110 skims well after I feed, stir sand or clean rocks but then seems to deflate like there isn't anything to skim.

I added 10 small nassarius snails a month ago to add to the existing 5 small blue leg hermits and 4 large turbo snails, brittle star and sand sifting star. Nothing touches this stuff.

I've been running gfo and carbon in a dual reactor since October. Not much change. Service medias at 4-6week intervals

On Tuesday I completely drained sump and found a ton of detritus under the skimmer stand. Sump is nearly sterile since then. I have used filter socks since cleaning and checked/changed daily I also added a clump of cheato in the refugium area of the sump as my PO4 kit goes from 0 to 0.25 and I figured the cheato would take up some of that and hopefully out compete but that has yet to be seen.

Have been using Reef crystals but just switched to sea hem reef salt ( for unrelated reasons) and will change 30 gallons tommorrow along with siphoning sand.

Lighting is 2 165w Chinese LEDs on 10hrs a day @ 50%. On Tuesday I pulled down one light and centered the other. Also raised it to about twelve inches above the water but had to increase level to 75%.

All corals, fish and inverts look good. Nothing dead that I can find. Stock includes

Monti,
frogspawn
Duncan
Zoas
GSP
Condy anemone
Yellow tang
Clownfish
Royal gramma
Snails and hermits

Parameters all show 0
Salinity is 1.025
Temp 78
Ph 7.8 which I have been unsuccessful at increasing

What is this stuff?
So what am I doing right?
What wrong?
What can I do to get rid of this stuff?
Would chemiclean work if it is cyano?

Here's what am dealing with:

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454293558.283665.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454293570.204524.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1454293588.386081.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the dreaded White Slime trying to get hold.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, whats the cure?? I just kept scrubbing mine off until it stop coming back.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Cyano and the white slime: Dose Dr. Tim's Refresh at 5ml's per 10 gallons every other day for 14 days. If it is still not gone, dose an additional 3 times.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo its seems to be just nutrient build up. Vac the sand and to a 20% or so WC for the next 6 weeks.
Ugly truth You'll see some improvement in 3 weeks. In 8 iltll be gone. Don't change anything else, but make sure you are feeding adequately.
Some prime weekly Prob wouldn't hurt.
Imo you have a pretty good bacteria going if your not having other crazy algae going on. (maybe too good?)
Sounds like your on the right track in beating this down.
Id grab a lux meter to see How much light you have.(search lux here on the site.) Increades photosynthesis reduces PO to have your corals do the same work your chato is doing by finding out if you can up the intensity.
free
Galactica luxmeter for Iphone
LUX Light Meter by Chrunchy Bytebox for android.
All around best most accurate is still a hand held Lux meter. $15 for cheap $75 for a milwalkee.

if its excess bacteria adding may not be good. so check. Prime and refresh may be similar. Seems like prime on the west coast and DR t on the east.:)

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo its seems to be just nutrient build up. Vac the sand and to a 20% or so WC for the next 6 weeks.
Ugly truth You'll see some improvement in 3 weeks. In 8 iltll be gone. Don't change anything else, but make sure you are feeding adequately.
Some prime weekly Prob wouldn't hurt.
Imo you have a pretty good bacteria going if your not having other crazy algae going on. (maybe too good?)
Sounds like your on the right track in beating this down.
Id grab a lux meter to see How much light you have.(search lux here on the site.) Increades photosynthesis reduces PO to have your corals do the same work your chato is doing by finding out if you can up the intensity.
free
Galactica luxmeter for Iphone
LUX Light Meter by Chrunchy Bytebox for android.
All around best most accurate is still a hand held Lux meter. $15 for cheap $75 for a milwalkee.

if its excess bacteria adding may not be good. so check. Prime and refresh may be similar. Seems like prime on the west coast and DR t on the east.:)

Could be bacteria I guess. Both of the tanks I've had the issue with were started with Dr time and had a white film in the clear vinyl plumbing during cycles. This stuff showed up after decent bioload was introduced.

I just downloaded the luxmeter and will report back when I get a reading. What am I shooting for? More light seems to increase growth however the first time I put cheato in it died but I had it in a cage and this time it's in a low flow refuge area of the sump with 24hrs of 6500k CFL.

Going to do WC and siphon and rock scrub. Reading up on refresh and prime now just because I have prime but refresh will be here in 2 days.

Thanks for the help guys!

OP
OP
ReelRednekReefer

ReelRednekReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 days total. You shouldn't need it though. After the 4th dose, you should see it recede.

Ok. Any concern with invertsI'd like to order the saltwater version over the reef version of refresh since it's half he price but both have reports of killing snails. Thoughts? And prime is different by what I've read

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you change too many things at once youll skew your results.
Prime and tims are both bacteria. If you have too much bacteria I wouldnt add bacteria or bacteria food especially.(test for ammonia)
If its an algae,(bacteria to a lesser extent) decreasing exess nutrients are the key, (elbow grease and water changes, a second canisterfilter if you have one,UV filter, change sock more frequently etc)
adding chato increases competition for the algae food source.

As far as light goes. Mark the number and leave it there. If its a photosyntetic like cyano leave it be for now till you remove the food source.
Depending on your corals, once you get the nutrients down, start bringing up the lights,(weeks). increase the lighting< photosyntic plants and animals both feed on the same nutrients. Your corals will in effect be competing for nutrients the same way chato does. It should (mine is now) clear in a few weeks. yes it will take time.

If its a bacterial excess a UV will prob be the best to remove it.

Its a weird thought to most but, algae on the glass is a good thing. Its drawing nutrients out of the tank, by removing it it removes the exess nutrients along with the actual plant.. Like trimming an ato or chato does. the challenge is to get it out of the tank asap. (canister filter,sock, big wet skim)

Double check your water source.
I should add, if your having a problem with too much of something, adding makes less sense than subtracting.
I suggest Prime only because I know it will control :mad:ammonia:mad: quickly.
Those are my thoughts anyway.

Last edited:

fourdrachma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had problems with that and the red slime version. I hooked up a phosphate reactor and an oversized high end skimmer, and haven't seen it since. I'm assuming you're using RODI water? If not that's your problem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back