please critique my tank! video included.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should find what u like and don't worry about what other people like.
U will have those who like lots of rock others a little
Some bare bottom and other deep sand beds.

OP
OP
I

IAMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should find what u like and don't worry about what other people like.
U will have those who like lots of rock others a little
Some bare bottom and other deep sand beds.

That is true Mrfresh. But I want people to see it while it is still in a work in progress stage and criticize it. It doesn't bother me if others hate it but if they hate it then i want to know why they hate it and try to understand them. If they love it then I want to understand why they love it. Maybe I can learn a few things here and there if I throw my tank out there for them to judge it lol :) Btw, you didn't criticize my tank lol :)

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok. This is intended for judgment towards the aesthetics of the tank but I guess I should also add that I have more rocks under the tank lol.

Sorry man. Missed the whole artistic bent to your question. Lol

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true Mrfresh. But I want people to see it while it is still in a work in progress stage and criticize it. It doesn't bother me if others hate it but if they hate it then i want to know why they hate it and try to understand them. If they love it then I want to understand why they love it. Maybe I can learn a few things here and there if I throw my tank out there for them to judge it lol :) Btw, you didn't criticize my tank lol :)

I'm not one for criticizing and I'm eathr minamilst extreme or lots of rock I like more of islands effect so it's really if you like it then keep it I had a 10 gallon that had a chunk of hair algae in a ball only one place I liked it so dif people dif taste

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I can answer you are you going for an organic feel or for an artistic art piece that moves you or fung shie?

I've seen amazing frag tanks where there was no rocks just square plugs stacked up at different levels with sps growing on them., no fish or sand.
I've seen ones that were only used acrylic in a fung shie way and had ong zoas growing.
If u want to go organic I believe in packing it. A real coral reef is over crowded...

Right now it's just a tank that I would think is a qt tank.

It needs some love paint the back of the tank add some rocks maybe , maybe some sand corals and another fish or two or 10...

OP
OP
I

IAMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I can answer you are you going for an organic feel or for an artistic art piece that moves you or fung shie? I had no clue what feng shui was but now I do lol. Thanks to you I came across Tanked's Feng Shui episode. But an artistic art piece that moves the viewers is what I'm looking for.

I've seen amazing frag tanks where there was no rocks just square plugs stacked up at different levels with sps growing on them., no fish or sand. I have a lfs that has the same setup but not very full looking. I was not able to see how it would look like with it being full but now that I imagine it I think it would look amazing. Unfortunately, I'm a bit nervous getting into sps as I am still a newbie. But still, great idea! Maybe I will try to do just this when I'm ready :)
I've seen ones that were only used acrylic in a fung shie way and had ong zoas growing. Is this available on youtube?
If u want to go organic I believe in packing it. A real coral reef is over crowded... Looking at an overcrowded tank frustrates me lol. Simplicity with a punch but not boring is the name of the game :)

Right now it's just a tank that I would think is a qt tank.

It needs some love paint the back of the tank add some rocks maybe , maybe some sand corals and another fish or two or 10... Rocks and Caribsea Aragonite Special Grade Reef sand is on the wish list along with some fishes

Thanks for your input! Keep it coming :)

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could paint the back of the tank or cover it with something to hide the pipes. The plants are inside the tank? And what are those white things on the sand?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aesthetic is interesting, but you REALLY need to provide your fish some hiding places. Otherwise, they will be constantly stressed and may become ill as a result.

Might I suggest some fake (be careful of the materials) hollow bamboo stems for hiding tubes?

OP
OP
I

IAMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could paint the back of the tank or cover it with something to hide the pipes. The plants are inside the tank? And what are those white things on the sand?

Plants are outside of the tank and those white things are pvc's :) for the fish to live in, temporarily.

OP
OP
I

IAMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aesthetic is interesting, but you REALLY need to provide your fish some hiding places. Otherwise, they will be constantly stressed and may become ill as a result.

Might I suggest some fake (be careful of the materials) hollow bamboo stems for hiding tubes?

Thanks for the suggestions. The pvc's are there for the fish to hide in when necessary.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a minimalist look.

Mission accomplished! :)

I want a minimalist look myself in a new tank, but agree with others who have pointed out that the pvc pipes you have provided may not give enough hiding space to make a fish as large as that tang feel comfortable. If you don't like the look of typical reef rockwork, you could consider a stack of smooth balanced stones which is typically associated with feng shui like this:
Stacked rocksA.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen this in a reef tank but would look clean and minimalist and might fit your theme while giving your fish some hiding spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IAMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mission accomplished! :)

I want a minimalist look myself in a new tank, but agree with others who have pointed out that the pvc pipes you have provided may not give enough hiding space to make a fish as large as that tang feel comfortable. If you don't like the look of typical reef rockwork, you could consider a stack of smooth balanced stones which is typically associated with feng shui like this:
Stacked rocksA.jpg
I don't think I've ever seen this in a reef tank but would look clean and minimalist and might fit your theme while giving your fish some hiding spots.

Great idea! But, I already visioned something else. My tank is still new so I had to do alot of hw on dry rocks. Made the purchase on dry rocks and will be shipped tomorrow. When it gets here let's see if I can pull the scape off.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back