Please forgive. Sand bed question

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I had a reef tank for a short period of time about 5 years ago. Didn't have it long enough to really get too deep in the hobby. My current reef, is a reefer 450 about 3.5 months old and running great, fingers crossed. My goal in this tank was to eventually do a mixed reef of sps and lps, maybe a few softies here and there and of course some fish. Not too many. A goal fish was to get a blue spotted jaw who I recently acquired. He's so cool. Upon setting the tank up I made the sand bed a solid 2-3" deep for my future BSJ. In a short period of time(please don't whip me) I have acquired a lot of livestock(corals and cleaners mostly including sps frags recently). I guess where I'm going is that I started reading some threads about people either never cleaning sand beds and others doing it regularly. I have a lot of sand. 180 or so pounds in a 5 ft tank. I have about 12-15 nasarius snails moving this around a bit. I also read a lot of tank crashes are due to both either never cleaning the sand or doing it and releasing toxins. What do you guys do and what would you do if you were me? Use a Python and do small sections with my bi-weekly WCs? I never want to see a pets life endangered but I also as well as anyone on here could lose so much money if I choose the wrong route. Since the tank is newer I think now would be the time to possibly start slowly cleaning sections with my WC if that's the route I should take. Of course I'd much rather not do anything but I need to do what's right. Some of my livestock are a wwc bounce, carmabi candy basslet, rainbow chalices etc so I have invested a lot already and have a relationship with everyone i put in the tank so would devastate me as it would anyone to lose things. Sorry for the rant and I know it's a beaten topic but I'd like to see some input directed particularly towards me for you experienced guys. Thank you

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive?
Please don't whip me?
Where have you been, RC?
Nobody here's gonna penalize you for asking questions :p Are you asking about cleaning the sand bed? Because an orange spotted diamond goby can keep an ocean's worth of sand bed clean. Had one myself. My tank isn't particularly large at all, he actually ended up dying because the sand was too clean...

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't clean any sand bed, may it be shallow, intermediate or deep..... but I def wouldn't stir a deep.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I figured I'd get flamed for buying so much so fast. I know it's a hobby of patience but I couldn't help myself from rushing with my livestock. I certainly also bought my equipment right, I think, so hopefully the system is running as good as I think it is

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably closer to 3" deep throughout. It looks deeper than all the pics I see if other people's tanks. The jawfish has some beautifully mounds he's building but I know all that sand is getting its turnover

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes a difference my levels are:
Ammonia/nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10.
Alk 8 kh
Calc 430
Ph 8.1
Phos .03
Mag 1380
Dosing 2 part
Running gfo and gac
25w Aqua uv
Aquamaxx skimmer
Ecotech everything else

jetmaker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes a difference my levels are:
Ammonia/nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10.
Alk 8 kh
Calc 430
Ph 8.1
Phos .03
Mag 1380
Dosing 2 part
Running gfo and gac
25w Aqua uv
Aquamaxx skimmer
Ecotech everything else
All looks good I have a aqua Max skimmer too awesome skimmer.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 41 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back